Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not trying to sound arrogant but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
STAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Not trying to sound arrogant but...

Okay so hopefully the thread title caught some attention. Haha! It's not really a matter of arrogance, it's more likely possible ignorance. Okay, so let me just start by saying where I am in this whole beer brewing mess. I have only brewed one batch and it's not even done yet. So basically, I'm a complete n00b. My overall goal is to start making my own recipes or tweaking the popular all-grain recipes. The brew I am working on is a step-by-step extract kit. At first glance, all-grain brewing was like another language. But after LOTS of reading and question asking, I feel like I have a pretty good grip on it. My question is simply this: Can I make the jump to all-grain after only ONE batch of extract? I don't want to say that it seems easy, but maybe not as intimidating as I once thought. Tell me what you think.

Thank,

Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It is nowhere near as intimidating as you think. Two things kept me from going AG sooner. Cost, which I found out wasn't really that much for the basics and the fear that it would be too hard. It's not. I say go for it.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6342 Times on 5490 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Ryan,

find some posts by Revvy. He's written some interesting stuff about the Extract v. AG.

It's kinda like bait fishing versus fly-fishing. Certain fly-fisherman (AG) snub bait fisherman (extract) as inferior; yet, the goal is the same -- catch fish (make beer).

and, like most folks on here will say - this hobby is all about making good beer, no matter what your technique is.

The hardest part I had with my first AG batch (and happened to be 1st full boil batch) was avoiding boil-over (it's a lot trickier with 6.5 gallons of wort v. the 3 I'd use for extract), and the extra time to chill the wort.

good luck!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is more nerve racking than difficult the first time. Kinda like sex...

But if you've read enough to have a good grasp of what your trying to accomplish go for it. Make sure you can measure your runnings volume and have a good thermometer.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think I did 4 batches before I went all grain. I'd say go for it.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
STAD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Haha, sounds good guys. Thanks for the encouragement! So now it comes to the equipment, which seems pricey. I see a lot of people make their own MLT and just keep a big pot of boiling water going for the HLT. Is this doable?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

My hesitation is still the time involved more than the difficulty. It already takes at least 2.5 hours from when I first fill the pot to boil till I've put the wort in the fermenter and clean up, and I have the process down pat at this point.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsolstad View Post
Haha, sounds good guys. Thanks for the encouragement! So now it comes to the equipment, which seems pricey. I see a lot of people make their own MLT and just keep a big pot of boiling water going for the HLT. Is this doable?
you need a big pot for full boils. I just use a pot for my HLT and my MLT is a cooler.

it does get pricy, but it is totally fun. You might even want to do a second extract batch while waiting to get everything together.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
rob897
Recipes 

Go AG... I did 1 extract and wanted to have more control on what my recipes would be like. Immediately after my 1st extract I started building my MLT, Keggle and Kegerator.
I have only done 3 AG batches and they all turned out ok even for still being a NOOB... I would start watching some online videos from YouTube as those really give you a better understanding of what to do... I would recommend the Chris Knight series, I believe theres 8 videos for his AG.. .and he has additional videos for Kegging..

Cheers

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Sure ya can! It doesn't take much extra equipment and once you get used to it time isn't all that bad either. I can knock out a brew in 4hrs. The only difference between AG and extract is the mash.....which is basicly just letting the grain rest at a desired temp for an hour. After that it's just like a full boil extract.

Quick Reply