The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not stirring the grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

wow, a lot of gold responses here. The only thing I might add is this link to mash temperature theory:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...re-theory.html

Don't worry about stirring too much as long as you can maintain temperature. BIAB makes that easy.

I'm not a squeezer, but squeezing isn't going to hurt your beer unless you break your bag doing it. I prefer to just let it drip for 20-30 minutes while I go do something else.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Depending on your setup, you may or may not be able to stir in the bag. My setup allows it. If yours does as well (and you can do so while controlling temps) I would suggest stirring to increase efficiency. If you can't, it isn't the end of the world, but this could explain low mash efficiency if you are experiencing that.
Yep. With my kettle/grain bag combo I can stir till my hearts content. If you can't you need to use a better/larger bag. If you don't stir thoroughly you'll end up with big clumps and your efficiency will suffer.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

Yeah. Use a paint strainer bag that can be left open & rolled over the lip of the BK. The muslin grain bags can't do this very well. The paint strainer bags allow for stiring. You have to stir it enough to break up dough balls & get the grains evenly wetted. This will give a higher OG.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
MrsJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had to look up BIAB. Definitely learning alot from you guys!! I loved the link, Woodland Brew. We are getting another batch of grain in soon and I will have a paint strainer bag before we brew. That is a wonderful suggestion because it would be so much easier just roll the bag out over the lip of the pot and have the grains freely floating from within the bag. Seems like that would be much better to get a consistent temperature throughout the mash and insure that the grains are all evenly wet.

MrsJones

"It's pronounced 'Hon-ehs.' You've got to hock a little phlegm when you say it."

Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 217

I just did a batch just like you are asking about. I have a 20qt pot and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag that has an elastic top. When the water is at the proper temperarure (my strike temp was 161F.)I turned off the heat, put the bag into the pot and stirred in the milled grains, stirring well to break up any dough balls. At this point the mash temp was 152. I put the lid on the pot and wrapped a bath towel around the outside and over the top and ignored it for 45 minutes. The temperature still registered 152 so I removed the towel, opened the lid, and pulled the bag out, letting it drain for a minute or so before slipping another bowl with a colander inside it under the bag which I then moved to the counter while I turned on the heat again to bring the pot up to the boiling point. While it was heating I used a pot lid to squeeze the wort out of the bag, dumping the resulting wort a couple times to make room in the bowl. When I finished I noticed that I didn't have as much wort as I intended so I took a pitcher of cold water and poured that into the bag, stirring as much as I could without spilling, then returned to squeezing and dumping. When boiled and cooled I checked my OG which was 1.054 when it was expected to be 1.051 at 80% efficiency.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I did one AG BIAB recipe two times. One time I forgot to stir my grains at the 30 min mark of the mash (Which is what I normally do). Result is that I undershot my gravity by 15. I then remembered to stir the next time and I was above by 3. It makes a difference with me. Not sure about others.

As for Mash Temps... Higher temps usually result in a more sweet fuller bodied beer while lower temps result in a higher alc, dryer beer. Someone can correct me if thats wrong.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

You're right,that's how it works temp-wise. I also use a cake cooling rack in the bottom of the BK to keep the bag of grains from burning on the bottom.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
MrsJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the wisdom, guys. You are incredibly helpful. I bought a paint strainer bag yesterday because we are going to brew this weekend. :-) Cheers to all of you!!

MrsJones

"It's pronounced 'Hon-ehs.' You've got to hock a little phlegm when you say it."

Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 235 Posts

God luck. And I know it was mentioned, but if you plan on heating at all during the mash (I personally don't, but some do), make sure you do something to keep that bag off the bottom of the pot. The last thing you want is a burned hole making your beer taste like plastic and spilling your grains into your brew.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

That's why I use a cake cooling rack that fits the ID of the BK. Works fine.

Quick Reply