Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not hitting OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #21
prrriiide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
Before you top off with water for the OG (you can calculate the OG to the topped off amount). You can take the pre-boil gravity just before the boil or at the start. and the FG after 2+ weeks
I was going to mention pre-boil grav. The beauty of it is that you can do it, and dump your sample right back into the boil. PBG will tell you what your extraction efficiency is. http://hbd.org/uchima/tech/efficiency.html That's important to know, because it will tell you how well your mashing procedure is extracting the (theoretically) available sugars from the grain. Once you know that, you can calculate your expected OG accounting for boil-off.

There's a good calc for figuring ext eff here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/.

But dcp is right..bite the bullet and run hydrometer readings for a couple or three batches to see what you're getting. It's worth the waste, meaning your beer will be worth the wait.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #22
wmarkw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good thread Jeff! Not sure I wanna do hydro tests either but I might explore a refractometer. I'm just following my recipes and focusing on hitting my mash temp. Once I built a 5 gal MLT it became easier. My beers have tasted good so far but would like to know the ABV%

Maya Jane Brewing Co.
Evans, GA

Primary #2 Yooper Ale w/ a hop twist
Primary #3 Lake Front IPA clone
Primary #4 Amber Ale

Bottled: Gaelic Ale Highland Brewing Co. Clone
Bottled: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Bottled: Fruit Looper Ale

Old 01-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #23
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you want a refractometer, you can get them on ebay for under $30 shipped from China.

Quick Reply