Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not happy with results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
SgtB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheaStl View Post
Thanks for all the responses. To answer some of your questions:

- I steeped the specialty grains for about 30 minutes at 150 degrees.

- I used hop pellets, but did use a steeping bag. I think next time I will just throw the hops right in.

- I added Irish Moss at the end of the boil for clarity.

- I left my first beer (amber ale) in the primary for 2 weeks, second (cream ale) in the primary for an entire month.

YEAST: This is where I think I might have messed up. On my first beer I used a Wyeast smack pack, but only let it sit for about 8 hours before I pitched it. For my second beer, I made a yeast starter the day before. I didn't really notice any extreme foaming on top. I pitched the starter, but DIDN'T shake it up before I did. There was a lot of yeast left on the bottom of my growler. However, my OG and FG were about right. 0.050 to start and finished at about 0.010.

- I let the beers sit in the bottles for 3 weeks. Once I opened them, the carbonation was fine, but that flavor that you get on the sides of your tongue w/ any beer is not there. I only taste it on the tip.

I use a hop bag. My OG sample blew my hair off from the hops last time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheaStl View Post
Carbonation has never been an issue, however, I cracked a few open this weekend (from my first batch) which was brewed about 3 months ago (amber Ale) and they tasted the best they ever have. So, unfortunately—looks like I'm going to have to wait 3 months to drink my beer rather than 1
aha....see?? Patience!

3-4 weeks in the fermenter, 3 weeks in the bottle at 70F to carbonate - 6-8 weeks total should get you a decent beer. Some better longer (like porters, stouts, )

Temp control, too, during the first several days at least - if you aren't doing that now -
Smack Packs don't HAVE to be smacked - that's just a little 'helper' to prove the yeast are viable. Starters rarely yield krausen, just more white layers of yeast at the bottom of the flask.

congrats on it tasting better now!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #23
LongDogBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You'll notice that the Liberty Cream Ale will be great too after you allow it to age. I tasted mine after being bottled for 3 weeks. It was still too green with an apple off-flavor. I didn't try it again until it was 6 weeks old and it tasted excellent! I've been happy with all the kits I've purchased from Midwest.

Quick Reply