Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > With not enough corn sugar for priming, can I blend with cane sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default With not enough corn sugar for priming, can I blend with cane sugar?

I've got 3 oz of corn sugar and I need 5 (roughly) to get the the desired 2.7-2.8 volumes of carbonation on my Wit. Can I simply make up the rest with an equal volume Cane sugar? If not, how can I determine how much cane sugar to add to make up the rest? thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Philsc
Recipes 

I've read somewhere that there is not difference between corn sugar and table sugar when it comes to priming, it's all completely fermentable. i wish I'd read that before I went and bought a bag of corn sugar for $6.

Also, I started to save wort to prime with because I'd read that malt extract results in smaller carbonation bubbles and I didn't want to shell out another $6 for priming sugar. Then I read that all carbonation bubbles get smaller over time. I wish I'd just used table sugar for all my brews. When I use up the corn sugar, I'm going to use table sugar.

However, I'm a newbie. This is just what I've read. I've only ever used corn sugar and wort to prime. I've noticed no difference between those two.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you can use cane sugar no problem. this calculator may help figure out amounts - My Brew Collection - Brew Tools (Bottle Priming Calculator)

Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cane sugar will work fine, even if you use only cane sugar for priming it won't affect the flavor, there is so little sugar compared to the amount of beer you are putting it in. Do use the priming calculator as I think you use a slightly different amount when using regular sugar.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I pretty much only use white table sugar for priming. it's cheaper, doesn't make a difference in the result.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This calculator says to use about 7 oz. of priming sugar for 5 gallons of Weizen My Brew Collection - Brew Tools (Bottle Priming Calculator). I'm bottling my 1st Hefeweizen tonight. I have always read on this site to do about 4.5oz. I know that each beer type has its own carb. zone, but that seems really high??

What do you typically do for a Hefe?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cane sugar is 100% fermentable compared to 92% for corn sugar so you'll need 1.8 ounces of cane sugar to make up the difference. The beer will taste the same regardless of which one you prime with.

Tom

Quick Reply