Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not enough carbonation - will it improve?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
cyarnell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not enough carbonation - will it improve?

I sampled the first bottle of the first beer I made yesterday. The taste was pretty good, but it did not have enough carbonation.

The beer was made with the ingredients that came with a Cooper's microbrew kit. It was a hopped liquid extract and dry yeast. I left it in the primary for nearly two weeks and then bottled it using the priming tablets that came with the kit. It has been three weeks since I bottled it in 22oz PET bottles.

When I opened the bottle there was a small hiss. It produced a very small head and some bubbles, but not nearly enough.

My original plan was to sample another bottle at 4th of July. Will the carbonation likely improve by then? If not, is there another way to help it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Give it a little more time, July 4th is good. And make sure that you chill before opening, I would recommend at least overnight.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah..it needs more time since it's a larger volume of beer than a standard 12 ouncer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another factor could be the temperature the bottles were kept during conditioning. They should be held at room temp for at least a week. If you kept them in a basement or someplace under 70, it will take longer.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Quick Reply