Not as cloudy as my first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1vh1

Reaction score
I got about 70% effiency, but I cant see any cloudiness that I associate with good conversion. Is this cloudiness some thing else not related to malt conversion? Here is a pic of it. Usually, the entire pot is cloudy, this time there is a 6 inch diameter circle of cloudiness.

brewe.jpg

Cloudiness isn't something you want. You want the wort to be reasonably clear before you boil it. The cloudiness is little bits of grain. You don't want a lot of those in your kettle.

That looks like wort, with hot break material in the middle. It's hard to tell, but some of it is bigger, so it could be cold break.

You WANT the wort to be completely clear, not cloudy! That's the way it's supposed to look- the break material settling out and clear wort along the sides.

That's the boil kettle while cooling. I did this brew on the stove with 2 pots, one sparge and the other for the rest of the mash.

That's the boil kettle while cooling. I did this brew on the stove with 2 pots, one sparge and the other for the rest of the mash.

It looks great. Next time you boil in two pots, combine them so that you have roughly equal amounts of runnings in each pot. You don't want to be really high OG from the first runnings and one with lower gravity from the second and third runnings. Once you divide them equally, you can divide the hops equally too, and have a good boil when you mix them.

Back