Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not bubbling. Add yeast cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
BuddyBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Not bubbling. Add yeast cake?

Hey so brewed up a batch of brown ale 2 days ago and still not bubbling. I am about to rack an ipa from last brew over to secondary and was wondering if my brown ale still isnt bubbling by then 2 more days should i buy more yeast or just chuck a chunk of the yeast cake in there from my ipa?

Thanks Yal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could do either I suppose, but if you are going to use the yeast cake I would siphon the brown ale on top of the cake as opposed to chucking the cake into the brown ale. Personally, I'd check your wort temp first. If it's below 68F, warm it up and wait another 24 hours. If that doesn't work, I would add more fresh yeast.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
lilwiggum
Recipes 

Don't forget, no bubbles doesn't mean fermentation isn't occurring. Have you checked the gravities with a hydrometer?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
hindsy
Recipes 

Okay I got a question...

I made a batch of Oatmeal stout saturday. It was rolling bubbles like mad. I had to leave to work on the road so I had the wife watch it. She added water to the air lock this morning. She added so much water it ran into the brew. It has stopped bubbling.(not sure if it was becasue of the water) IS my brew in trouble? This was my first beer brew. I am wondering should I pull the airlock off and take a sample from the tap at the bottom? throw the therm and Hydr in it? see what we got?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsy View Post
Okay I got a question...

I made a batch of Oatmeal stout saturday. It was rolling bubbles like mad. I had to leave to work on the road so I had the wife watch it. She added water to the air lock this morning. She added so much water it ran into the brew. It has stopped bubbling.(not sure if it was becasue of the water) IS my brew in trouble? This was my first beer brew. I am wondering should I pull the airlock off and take a sample from the tap at the bottom? throw the therm and Hydr in it? see what we got?
Your beer isn't ruined. Remove the excess water from the airlock. Make sure the airlock is stuck tightly in your bucket. Make sure the lid is tightly on the bucket. Then, leave it alone. Let it sit for a couple of weeks. Then you can take a gravity reading.

One suggestion, you might not want to use just water in the airlock. It's really not a good barrier against bacteria. You might want to use star san water mix or iodophor or vodka.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had this problem just a few days ago and the reason was because i'd killed the yeast by adding it to a mixture that was too hot. Can you think of anything you might have done that killed the yeast? Always wait 72 hours before acting too!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From the local guru on topic Revvy:

Quote:
Everything is fine. This is where you guys who instantly equate a bubbling airlock with "FERMENTATION" seem to miss...An airlock is simply a valve, a vent to release excess co2, to keep your lid on your fermenter and your beer off the ceiling.

It's always going to slow down eventually. The yeast are going to have less fermentables to consume, than they did in the first few days, so they are not going to produce that much EXTRA co2, and therefore the airlock is not going to NEED to blip as fast, if at all.

But that DOESN'T mean the yeast has stopped doing their job....they just don't have that much food to chew....but they're not going to stop, they just don't go to sleep unless the temp dips down to the low 50's, and they just don't die....they MAY eat all the consumables they can in the case of a high grav wort and shut down, like in a barlewine.

But in your NORMAL beer, they are just going to keep working. They are going to slowly slug away until the job is done. Just not as dynamically as they do when they are having the gluttonous orgy of sex and food....it's just like us on thanksgiving....we start slowing down eventually...but we more than likely keep eating. At least until we get to the pumpkin pie...or the midnight snack......

Besides, fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leveing our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent...

Unless you take a gravity reading you don't know what's really going on, not by airlock bubbling or by krausen formation. Neither of those signs are effective, they don't tell you exactly where on the fermentation process you are.

The amount of krausen can vary for whatever reason, it can come quick and depart quickly or it can linger long after fermentation is complete, and it all be normal.

And airlocks sometimes bubble or they don't. And airlock is a valve, a vent to release excess co2...NOT a fermentation gauge. It's important to make that distinction, or you'll be panicking everytime a an airlock doesn't bubble, or stops bubbling.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks, or size of krausen, or a calendar, the horoscope or the phases of the moon (those things in my mind are equally accurate).

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, or bottling, or racking, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWalker View Post
I had this problem just a few days ago and the reason was because i'd killed the yeast by adding it to a mixture that was too hot. Can you think of anything you might have done that killed the yeast? Always wait 72 hours before acting too!
No temp was perfect. Maybee its alittle cold in my house so i will see in a couple days.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwiggum View Post
Don't forget, no bubbles doesn't mean fermentation isn't occurring. Have you checked the gravities with a hydrometer?
no never really do but i know i should.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So i moved fermenter to a warmer spot in the house nd it has now slowly started bubbling. Yes! Hopefully all is well. bout to get the stuff for my first IIPA this week!

Quick Reply