Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I cracked open a test bottle that was the last bottled filled. It had about 2.5 inches of headspace. This has been three weeks now in bottles. It gave a great pfffft! Carbonation was just like it should be. I served it at fridge temps. The oak is pretty strong so I see what acuenca is talking about concerning aging them. I'm going to sit on them until the fall and see what's up next. Other than that it's excellent; color, carbonation, lacing, etc. Just needs more time.

001.jpg   002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks flipping delicious!

nice work!

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
djbradle
Recipes 

Thnx man! I don't know if my palette is too used to sweeter malt bombs but this thing is smokin from the toasted oak. The bourbon is almost a forethought . . . Age is key here I guess.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #24
BronxFireGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just ordered the extract kit, and just had a couple questions for those that have brewed this.

I see a lot of guys say that they added more bourbon than called for in the recipe. Does anyone have a reccommendation for an amount?

I plan on agin this beer for at least a year, to crack open for my wedding next may, would aging this in a keg be the same as bottling? I am at least bottling a dozen to cover the wedding party.

I can't wait to brew this after reading all the reviews on here and the web. Keep us updated on how they turn out!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #25
djbradle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxFireGuy View Post
I just ordered the extract kit, and just had a couple questions for those that have brewed this.

I see a lot of guys say that they added more bourbon than called for in the recipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for an amount?

I plan on agin this beer for at least a year, to crack open for my wedding next may, would aging this in a keg be the same as bottling? I am at least bottling a dozen to cover the wedding party.

I can't wait to brew this after reading all the reviews on here and the web. Keep us updated on how they turn out!
I did 16 oz. and it is mild in my opinion. I did do 20 oz but when I removed the oak cubes prior to secondary I lost 4 oz.Again, mild imho. The oak is strong and will need the year to mellow. The bourbon (Old Crow in my case) must have added oak notes with the oak cubes so a different bourbon may yield different results. I say to go with the 20 if you plan to sit on it for a year.

I believe the common consensus is that the quality of bottle conditioning exceeds that of keg conditioning. If the keg sits in a cool place, not cold, for a period of a year I would probably be unable to distinguish the two if tasted side by side as long as all factors remain equal. Now if it was a BSDA . . .that's a different story.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
djbradle
Recipes 

Coming up on 11 months now . . . . Man I wish I saved them all. This stuff is AMAZING! The bitterness had died down a tad and now the flavors have melded with the malt shining more. I must say this is very tasty, aromatic, and complex. This was the version with the Old Crow bourbon and Madagascar Vanilla beans (2).

Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
TJinWV
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have this kit in secondary atm. Getting ready to soak the oak chips for a few days or so, then add them to secondary for a week. I'm using Old Crow as well. I must admit, I had some of the Old Crow a couple evenings ago, and I was very disappointed in it. I typically drink Woodford, but I was trying to be a little cheaper. Only way to find out is to drink it, though, right?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #28
djbradle
Recipes 

Well, it is a cheap bourbon . . but in a beer? Perfectly fine and I don't think I'd be able to taste the difference with vanilla beans and oak involved. It' really that good . . .

Old 12-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #29
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just finished brewing NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter from extract.

Made a 1.5L starter of WY-1728 at noon on Thursday, hand stirred until midnight Friday, refrigerated until 4PM Saturday and then decanted.

A few days ago I'd put 2 gallons of boiled and cooled RO water into my 6G carboy and placed it out in the garage where it'd cooled to 46 degrees.

Three more gallons of RO water went into the brew kettle.

For top-off water, another two gallons of RO water went into a stock pot, heated to boiling, and cooled to room temp.

All went well. Cooled the wort down to 86, added it to the 2G @46 degrees already in the carboy, topped off, and ended up at 68 degrees, only two degrees colder than I was shooting for.

Put sanitized aluminum foil over the mouth of the carboy, and rocked it hard for 10 minutes. Pulled a sample with the beer thief for OG (still waiting for the foam to fall in the test tube!), used the beer thief to add some wort to the yeast flask, stirred and pitched.

Another few minutes of rocking the carboy, and I took it downstairs (60 degrees ambient) for a water bath (68 degrees) and blowoff tube.

Things learned:

Always pee before the boil.

First time using Fermcap pre-boil, and never saw a hot break foam-up.

First time using a hop bag, and I had almost no trub in the brew kettle.

First time using Whirlfloc tabs, and didn't have enough trub in the brew kettle to notice a difference.

I hope everyone else's brew day went as smooth. And my house smells like a brewery!

2012-12-15-21.21.17.jpg  

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
TJinWV
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinWV View Post
I have this kit in secondary atm. Getting ready to soak the oak chips for a few days or so, then add them to secondary for a week. I'm using Old Crow as well. I must admit, I had some of the Old Crow a couple evenings ago, and I was very disappointed in it. I typically drink Woodford, but I was trying to be a little cheaper. Only way to find out is to drink it, though, right?
Figured I'd update this. I bottled on New Years Day, and cracked one open last night. The bourbon flavor was very weak, and it had a strong smokey finish. If I were to do it over again, I'd use more bourbon, and probably not put the oak chips in the secondary. It poured very dark with a thick head, similar to djbradle's photo posted above. All in all, it was a great smokey porter, but disappointing for a bourbon porter.

For the record - brewed on 11/12/12, transferred to secondary 12/4/12. Put oak chips in 16 oz bourbon on 12/14/12, added everything to secondary on 12/21/12, bottled on 1/1/13.

Quick Reply