Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > norther brewer kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
jaw005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default norther brewer kit

i started brewing beer a year ago with "Mr Beer" and really enjoyed it and would like to upgrade. i live near a Northern Brewer store and taking the free "Intro to Brewing" class tomorrow. with the class you get 10% off their starter kits that day and i am looking at getting the "deluxe starter kit, plastic".

has anyone used this start up kit and is it good quality for the price?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Everything at Northern Brewer is pretty high quality. That starter kit is as good as any. Their pricing is probably pretty close to retail, but with the 10% off it should be a good deal.

Don't get the second carboy option in the kit, either skip it or just buy a second 6 gallon carboy. You would save a few bucks and have two carboys that can be used as either primaries or secondaries. Unless you are doing lagers or high gravity Belgians you don't really need secondaries, so may as well have a more versatile setup.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I agree, looks like a nice kit. Personally I would go with the plastic carboy options over glass - a little cheaper and I just don't like the risk of glass. It looks like they include one 5 gal and one 6 gal in the base price, with an option to add a third to use as a secondary. I agree with mojo, I'd try to get two 6 gallons instead.

Quick Reply