Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Norther Brewer IPA Recipe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
saluki_brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Norther Brewer IPA Recipe Question

I recently bought the Tongue Splitter IPA recipe kit from Northern Brewer and read several comments saying that it was a little bit light for the amount of hops they use. I would like to add something to provide additional alcohol and sweetness. One person suggested honey, so I am thinking of adding that plus maybe an extra specialty grain (biscuit malt?).

For anyone who has added honey to a recipe, how much should I add to a 5 gallon recipe? Also, what type of specialty grain would go good with an IPA? I really like biscuit malt, but an not sure if it would go well with this style.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
barroomhero1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

a low percentage of crystal 15 would be nice but i dont know the rest of the recipe so you dont want to kill it. The honey will dry out the beer and not add body to it, you would need some unfermantables to add to the body.

Primary 1: Canadian Pale Ale
Primary 2: American Stout
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: IPA,Belgian Wit, Pale ale,Stout, Sour beer.
Planning: Janets Brown, Northern German Alt, Arrogant bastard Clone+ more yummy beers
I only take a drink on two occasions - when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.
Brendan Behan
Drunken Lullabies Brewery
Slainte!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Honey won't add sweetness as it is over 90% fermentable. If you want more alcohol, add more extract, (assuming you are using extract). For more sweetness, add some crystal malt.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
saluki_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah it is an extract kit. Sounds like honey is not the way to go. Will probably just up the amount of LME used.

What about adding specialty grains? Right now it uses Carapils and Caramalt for the specialty grains and Pilsen LME for the main fermentable.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yes those will add sweetness and color. I wouldn't use more that 1.5 pounds and even that is too sweet for my taste in a 5 gallon batch. But if that is what you are looking for, start with 1.5 pounds. For perspective, I use 1.5 pounds of caramel or crystal malt in my 10 gallon batches but I like a nice dry crisp pale.

Quick Reply