Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > North Texas Newbie could use a hand...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

As already state, chilling the wort is the main concern with a full boil. I've done many a partial boil on the stove top and they work fine. I usually try to start with about three gallons of water and end up with about 2 1/2 gallons of wort at the end of the boil. Hop utilization is an issue, but not really a deal breaker. I tend to add half my extract early and the other half in the last ten mintues. In essence, that's giving me a wort gravity during the bulk of the boil that would be consistent with a full five gallon boil. So, I don't worry about it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
As already state, chilling the wort is the main concern with a full boil. I've done many a partial boil on the stove top and they work fine. I usually try to start with about three gallons of water and end up with about 2 1/2 gallons of wort at the end of the boil. Hop utilization is an issue, but not really a deal breaker. I tend to add half my extract early and the other half in the last ten mintues. In essence, that's giving me a wort gravity during the bulk of the boil that would be consistent with a full five gallon boil. So, I don't worry about it.
+1 on that. That's how I avoid hop utilization issues when doing a partial boil (start w/4 1/2 gal, usually end up just under 4). Adding the bulk of the extract late really helps the hops do their job.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
hyperslug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Long time to boil

My stove won't boil 5 gallons in a reasonable amount of time, so I stick to 3 or so gallons.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
kcweazle
Recipes 

I live in the Dallas area and I ended up getting a small cheap chest freezer and putting a temp controller on it and love it. Another good thing about it is if you get a yeast strain that really gives off a bad smell while fermenting it stays trapped inside the freezer and doesn't stink up your house. That makes the wife really happy.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
jrg42
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 to the swamp cooler. Although i am dying to make a ferm chamber, right now I am using a big igloo cube ice cooler. You can put a 6.5 gallon carboy in there and then fill near the top with water. I use a combo of those ice packs used in shipping cold stuff and frozen 1L soda bottles filled with water to maintain my ferm temps.

There is no problem at all to maintain ale ferm temps and with some diligence (changing the ice packs before and after work) I can even keep it low enough for lagers.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #16
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I used the swamp cooler here in texas with good results. House temp is about 75. I just put my bucket in a bathtub we rarely use, put a shirt and point a fan at it as well as keep putting ice in it and I can ferment around 63-65

Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2766 Times on 2723 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Another vote for a fermentation fridge. If you have the space, old piece of crap fridges pop up on cragslist from time to time. $0-$30 fridge + $16-$50 temp controller = temp control at all times.

You can pick up a line voltage thermostat (used for baseboard heaters and air conditioners) for pretty cheap at a hardware store in some areas - not sure if we can here.

@Jww - right across the toll bridge from ya.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS