The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Normal yeast?(First Brew)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
sacstatebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Normal yeast?(First Brew)

Hey Guys, this is my first stab at brewing and im kinda of stuck after searching the boards.
OK, Im brewing a California Pale Ale from Home Brew Outlet and everything seemed to be fine with my brew after I pitched the yeast. The airlock was getting some action within an hour, but after about 6-8 hours the airlock clogged and nearly turned into a missile(had brown brew bubbles coming out from under the lid). So I unclogged and cleaned it, then after about 15 hours the airlock stopped bubbling and I have a thick layer of sediment at the bottom about an inch 1 1/2. Is this typical, did I mess up my brew, or did my yeast die out?

Specs:
6lb malt kit with 2 oz of hops
5 gal of brew
Rehydrated yeast at 75-80f for 15min
Pitched into wort at 80f
OG was 1064
After 24hrs SG is 1021
Fermenter temp is 74f

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You'll be fine, just a typical blowoff. What size primary are you using? I would just ride it out and let it do its thing for another week or two. Exploding lids, bottles, etc. are quite common around here really. And believe it or not, almost all of the exploding lid cases turn out good beer regardless.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
velotech
Recipes 

yes, leave it for a couple weeks. just because there's no activity in the air lock doesn't mean it's not fermenting: it is. btw, welcome! i'm a sac state grad!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
sacstatebrew
Recipes 

Its a 6 gal container...So im fine eventhough there is no more airlock action?
It was kinda violent for awhile

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
sacstatebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotech View Post
yes, leave it for a couple weeks. just because there's no activity in the air lock doesn't mean it's not fermenting: it is. btw, welcome! i'm a sac state grad!
Thanks...Cool

Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacstatebrew View Post
Its a 6 gal container...So im fine eventhough there is no more airlock action?
It was kinda violent for awhile
Yes, if you pitched the yeast at 80 degrees, you had a very "hot" fermentation, and if it's still at 74 degrees, it was probably more than 10 degrees higher than that during the most active part of the fermentation. That's probably why it went so fast and explosively. It'll be fine, I was just explaining why it may have gone so fast.

Next time, pitch the yeast when the wort is under 70 degrees, and try to keep the fermenter temperature in the mid-60s if you can. It'll make for a "cleaner" ale with less hot alcohol or fruity flavors.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
sacstatebrew
Recipes 

!!Update!!
I was checking my fermenter temp today and its at 70/69f, while I was doing that I noticed that my 3-piece airlock had some pressure in it again and was bubbling slowly at about 1 bubble per 25 sec's. Im glad to see some action again.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
cryokinetic
Recipes 

Thank god someone else posted this first. I had the exact same problem with my batch over the weekend.
Pitched thurs night. Was fermenting extremely vigorously on friday and sat mornings. No activity in the airlock and no krausen on sunday evening. Was about to run to the homebrew shop to buy a new packet of yeast.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nine times out of ten, you won't have to ever repitch yeast. If you run into a situation where the temps have fallen drastically, the yeast may just be taking a break until the temps come back up. I always keep my "fermenting room" anywhere from 60-70F to keep a consistent fermentation temp. Never had a problem with a stalled fermentation. If you do run across this, just bring it to a place with a higher temp and you should start seeing bubbling again. Also, just check your hydro readings. Although 2-3 days is a little quick to see terminal gravity, depending on your beer, you may just get there that quickly. I don't know what I'd do without my hydro...

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
cryokinetic
Recipes 

Just thought of a followup question...

Would now (while the yeast appears to be inactive) be a good time to transfer to the secondary fermentor?

Quick Reply