The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > nooby question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
Smiddy1488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also I used 2L PET bottles so it's not too much hassle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy1488 View Post
Sure I'm going to a lot of work to avoid sediment, but why wouldn't I? If the only way I can store it is upright which is inconvenient for my fridge, and have to carry it to parties and make sure it doesn't get shaked about or have a cloudy beer? Also the wastage of people who don't like sediment in their drinks etc, I'd much rather just have no sediment and be able to store it how I like, take it about easy and drink it all
Let us know what you invent.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've just bought a pressure barrel with co2 injector. Surely if I force carbonate it in there and bottle it when i need it say for example in then morning refridgerate it and drink it at night it wouldn't be flat?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After i've waited for fermentation to stop would I then still have to wait the two or so weeks for my beer to clarify or do you think racking it from the fermenating barrel to pressure barrel (after a week or so) should do it?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
I've just bought a pressure barrel with co2 injector. Surely if I force carbonate it in there and bottle it when i need it say for example in then morning refridgerate it and drink it at night it wouldn't be flat?
Pressure barrel? Injector? Aren't we talking about a keg, CO2 tank and regulator? Have you been talking about something else this whole time?

If you're force carbing, you'll probably need to do it at serving temperature. CO2 dissolves poorly at room temperature. You'll also need to have It at that temperature when bottling. The colder you can get the bottles the better.

Quote:
After i've waited for fermentation to stop would I then still have to wait the two or so weeks for my beer to clarify or do you think racking it from the fermenating barrel to pressure barrel (after a week or so) should do it?
If you want crystal clear beer, then you should use a hop spider in the boil, add Irish Moss, do a longer primary, siphon to secondary, use a filter or cold crash several days.

If a little yeast residue from carbing bothers you, then what you're describing won't give you the results you seem to want.

Why this fascination with clarity? I don't find It yields a tastier beer.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was going to go with a tank but went with the cheaper option of a pressure barrel and co2 injector. I don't have a problem with a bit of sediment really, just i'm making some for a party coming up and my friends seem to not want to drink the last 1/4 of the 2l bottle because they don't like the taste

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Smiddy1488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Syphoned in to the pressure barrel on Friday and was advised to add 50g sugar anyway (i guess the co2 is just to top the pressure off if i tap some out).

Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
thadius856

Recipes 

Yeah, you'd spend a fortune in those little CO2 cartridges force carbing.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Here we go again. I feel like I'm the only one on this forum who ever googled "Pressure barrel fermenter" when the first heard about it, and actually knows what the heck it is.

He's talking about a UK Pressure barrel fermenter/serving unit, which if you all had bothered to do a second's worth of google searching, you might have realized that it is pretty much the most common piece of homebrewing kit in ENGLAND and other parts of the known world.....

But I would post questions about pressure barrels on the Brewuk forums. We can help you with just about everything else about brewing. But specific pressure barrel info is pretty scarce on here.

However in terms of priming a pressure barrel, I would advise you to read this article, it's for priming uk pressure barrel fermenters.

Every once and awhile we get questions about them from English Homebrewers, and I'm the only one that seems to seem to know what they are. I usually refer them to the English and Aussie homebrewer sites. None of the threads on here really go beyond 3-4 posts, because since the majority of us are from the states, where they're rare, we don't know much about them.

And most on here evidently don't even know what they are.

But I will say, that if you think your beer will be fermented, carbonated and conditioned and not taste like crap in a week, you're going to be might surprised.....most of my beers aren't ready for 6-8 weeks minimum.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Yeah, you'd spend a fortune in those little CO2 cartridges force carbing.
They usually add sugar to the barrel, let it carb up, THEN they use the co2 charger just to push the already carbed beer out of it.

(Which is another reason the OP is mistaken if he thinks it will be drinkable in a week, we KNOW how long it takes to carbonate a beer, especially if it's 5 gallons in one large vessel.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply