Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob Secondary Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Strangelove
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Noob Secondary Question

Howdy,

Brewing my first batch. I filled the fermenter Sunday afternoon after using John Palmer's instruction tweeks to the Brewer's Best English Brown Ale Kit.

I did a search of the forum so I know that no bubbling can be okay at this point (48 hours), but all of the instructions on when to transfer to the secondary fermenter seem to be predicated on when the bubbling slows/stops.

Like a dope, I didn't take a starting SG (didn't have the right type of beaker) so I'm not sure if a reading right now will help me.

Thanks for any advice.

Doc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
FifteenTen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take a reading now. Take a reading in three days. If its the same (and within style range) rack to secondary. Or do what most people here do, don't rack at all. Leave for two, three, dare I say four weeks. Then bottle.

Disclaimer: I am an UberNoob. Wait for more experienced replys. But I bet I'm right.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Leave alone for 2-3 weeks. I leave all mine minimum of 3 weeks. Take 1 reading each day for 3 days. If numbers don't change, do what you want next. I secondary if brew will ferment longer than 4 weeks.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

1510 hit the nail on the head, about the gravity not changing over a three day span, it doesn't really matter if you took an og reading or not.

BUT if you are an extract brewer, your OG will be what the recipe instructions say it will be, IF your volume that went into the fermenter is what the recipe calls for. If it's a 5 gallon batch, and you ended up with 5 gallons, then your gravity is what it says it will be. It's almost fool proof.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
allthingsgiant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leave it in your primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. What's the matter with you?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Heed the words of wise Revvy...

Once you have a confirmed FG, TASTE IT... That will tell you when to bottle (no need to rack to 'secondary' for a brown ale, or ~95% of what people brew) it. If it doesn't taste great, give it more time. If it tastes 'yeasty' give it more time in primary. If it tastes solventy (alcohol flavor), leave it in primary. I wouldn't even look at it for at least 2-3 weeks.

After my first two batches, I've been using the long primary model. Going 4+ weeks for everything. Higher OG brews get more time on the yeast. Since doing that, every batch has been excellent. Of course this does mean you'll need more primaries, but that's not an issue, right?

Looking back, I WISH I had this advise on my first two batches... If I only knew then what I know now...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all of the excellent advice. If I were to distill of the advice (ha ha) it would be to leave it alone.

From the Simpsons:

Moe: I got this deep fryer on loan from the US Army. It can flash fry a buffalo in 40 seconds

Homer: 40 secoonnds... but i want it nooow

Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
sizemj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That beer was also my first try at home-brewing. I do not ever remember seeing any bubbles in the airlock. I let it set in primary for 3 weeks took a gravity reading and it was exactly where it should have been. Beer turned out great, Drank all but the last two bottled trub (hops) in those : (

Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yup - I'd just cover it, and forget it for a few weeks, then check the FG.

B

Old 08-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifteenTen View Post
Or do what most people here do, don't rack at all. Leave for two, three, dare I say four weeks. Then bottle.
I want to see the gallup poll!!

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Quick Reply