Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob question about English Bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
gabmg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob question about English Bitter

Hi,
I did my first brew over the weekend and I'm pretty sure I messed it up.

The guy at my local brewer's store sold me a can of cooper's english bitter and a 1kg bag of dextrose. He told me that was all I needed. When I got home I noticed the requirements were of 500g of light dry malt and no sugar, but I figured the guy at the store knew what he was talking about, so I just mixed the can with the sugar in hot water (like I had seen on youtube). I then added the mix in my fermenter with cold water and added the yeast.

Now that I've been doing some reading I'm not so sure I should have added the dextrose. I would like to know if this is going to be a flop before I waste more time bottling the brew. Any thoughts on adding sugar like this to a pre-hopped malt extract?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
SMOKEU
Recipes 

It probably won't turn out great, but you might as well keep fermenting it for 3 weeks in total and then bottle it. What's the volume of beer you're fermenting? It should still taste OK.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!
You will make beer but it won't be the best beer you will ever make. It may taste a little thin but no worries, just consider this your "practice" batch.
I don't think you should take any more advice from that employee at your LHBS.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmg View Post
Hi,
I did my first brew over the weekend and I'm pretty sure I messed it up.

The guy at my local brewer's store sold me a can of cooper's english bitter and a 1kg bag of dextrose. He told me that was all I needed. When I got home I noticed the requirements were of 500g of light dry malt and no sugar, but I figured the guy at the store knew what he was talking about, so I just mixed the can with the sugar in hot water (like I had seen on youtube). I then added the mix in my fermenter with cold water and added the yeast.

Now that I've been doing some reading I'm not so sure I should have added the dextrose. I would like to know if this is going to be a flop before I waste more time bottling the brew. Any thoughts on adding sugar like this to a pre-hopped malt extract?

Thanks!
That's a 1930's Prohibition homebrew method. Homebrewing technology has improved in the last 80 years. It will make beer but you can do a lot better. Check out the extract brewing section and Wiki here at HBT for some up-to-date methods and recipes. Owning and reading a modern homebrewing book like John Palmer's "How to Brew" is also highly recommended. Don't throw the first batch out but get ready for a big improvement on your next batch.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
gabmg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
It probably won't turn out great, but you might as well keep fermenting it for 3 weeks in total and then bottle it. What's the volume of beer you're fermenting? It should still taste OK.
I'm doing 27 liters (6 gallons?). Thanks for the replies, I supppose I might as well bottle it and see what can go wrong during that step too...

Cheers!

Quick Reply