New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob Question about aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Jayni
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob Question about aeration

Ok, so I am going to be doing my 3rd extract kit (hopefully in the next week as soon as my Weizenbier is ready to go in the 2nd) --- My first 2 kits were Brewers Best since that was all I could get locally same day, but I picked up my first kit from Northern Brewer (A Bavarian Hefeweizen) with directions to aerate the wort. I've seen this in videos and I thought it was only for partial or full mashes, anyway, can someone explain "aeration of the wort" I haven't seen too much on this and I am the type of person that likes to understand the "why" behind the "how". Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeast like oxygen.

The easiest way to aerate is to shake the carboy or bucket. Another good way is to pour the cooled wort back and forth between the pot and fermenter.

I've used a wire whisk to whip air into the wort. I don't know how successful I've been.

Pros use pure O2. You can get a killer setup from Williams HBS for just over 50 bucks.

I've moved back to partial boils and top-off water. Adding faucet water to the fermenter adds a ton of oxygen back into the wort for the yeasties.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

You need to aerate the wort after you chill it to increase dissolved oxygen available to the yeast. The yeast need oxygen to reproduce and build up numbers. Once all the oxygen is gone, they respirate anaerobically and begin to ferment the beer. You can aerate by dumping the wort vigorously back and forth between two buckets, by using an aquarium pump or by using pure compressed oxygen. Do a forum search and you should come up with some threads covering these methods in more detail.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Jayni
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer
You need to aerate the wort after you chill it to increase dissolved oxygen available to the yeast. The yeast need oxygen to reproduce and build up numbers. Once all the oxygen is gone, they respirate anaerobically and begin to ferment the beer. You can aerate by dumping the wort vigorously back and forth between two buckets, by using an aquarium pump or by using pure compressed oxygen. Do a forum search and you should come up with some threads covering these methods in more detail.
Thank you!! This helps me understand it a little better, this wasn't part of my first 2 kits but you learn as you go right!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

No problem, glad to help.

Cheers

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

By dumping the wort from vessel to vessel, shaking the fermenter, or adding tap water to the wort does indeed introduce a small amount of oxygen, but it also introduces all the microbes in the air as well. I strongly feel sterile O2 introduced using sterile equipment is really the best way to go. By using this method the brewer can regulate how much O2 is actually being dissolved into the wort. That way we can note how much oxygen was used in the wort, and next time that batch is brewed it can be replicated exactly to ensure consistency.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Jayni
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly View Post
By dumping the wort from vessel to vessel, shaking the fermenter, or adding tap water to the wort does indeed introduce a small amount of oxygen, but it also introduces all the microbes in the air as well. I strongly feel sterile O2 introduced using sterile equipment is really the best way to go. By using this method the brewer can regulate how much O2 is actually being dissolved into the wort. That way we can note how much oxygen was used in the wort, and next time that batch is brewed it can be replicated exactly to ensure consistency.
Good to know, I am definately sterilizing equipment, but not even close to replicating batches at this point. I sure hope experience and knowledge will get me there though, I am a quick learner thankfully, but still on kits and just learning the basics mostly....

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Since you are starting, just shake the thing. I started with an aquarium pump, inline filter, and stone. it created a lot of beer foam out the top, and I found out later does little more than shaking.

There are a few threads on here linking to studies of shaking vs pump vs bottle O2.

I now shake, and with a stater it takes off quick. Less money, less to clean.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I can't put a price on sanitation and sterilization which results in a guaranteed clean beer.

My wife and I drop obscene amounts of coin on this hobby each year simply for the piece of mind that our beer is consistent, clean, and will place in competitions. To us a clean beer is priceless. With that being said I think our O2 system is the cheapest part of our setup. If I recall correctly it was 5.00 for the O2 can, 10.00 for 20 ft of tubing, 5.00 for the inline heap filter, and around 10-20.00 for the carbonating stone. After its all said and done we have invested 40.00 in an O2 system we use for about 6 months before having to replace any components. For us at least that is a worthwhile price for this step of our brewing process.

I feel strongly that if you are going to invest any amount of time or money into any hobby, you should be investing in the best and most professional tools used in that hobby. Anything else is just going about half hearted and not really a wise investment where one may get the most satisfactory results. For instance: I would not hit the trap range or go duck hunting with an old beat up shotgun simply because it saved me money. It's something I care a great deal about, so why cheat myself out of the full pleasure? Just my personal feelings on things like this.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Butter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use the oxygen aeration kit from Williams Brewing and I think its great. I just turn it in for like 30 sec to a minute and that's it. Fermentation takes off in a few hours.

Quick Reply