Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > noob Q: boil water before it goes into fermentor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
sharafa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default noob Q: boil water before it goes into fermentor?

I just finished my first boil phase (1st batch) and the guy at the brew store told me to just dump 3gal of cold water into the fermentor before i pour the wort in. Now i'm reading into it more and everyone boils their water first. How critical is that?

Which leads me to the second question... if you boil the water first, do you have to go through the time consuming process of letting it cool down first?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
BorderBrewin
Recipes 

Yes, boil the water and let it cool before you pour in the wort. You are risking an infection if you don't boil tap water before adding it to the fermentor. If you don't have time to boil the water and let it cool, then you can use bottled water without boiling.

Everything is better in moderation...even moderation.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I don't agree with border..it isn't necessary if your water is safe (which most of ours is) unless there's a boil water advisory in your town at the time of brewing, topping off with tap water is fine...

It really is a matter of choice what you want to do...I've never topped off with anything but tap water and have never had a problem...

You will find on here and elsewhere (even in books) that in most cases there really is no right answer, it is a matter of personal preference more than anything thing else...all the debates Stainless vs Aluminum, iodophor vs starsan, or any topic on here with a "vs" will all come down to brewer's preference.

There's a saying in homebrewing Ask 10 brewers a question and get 12 different answers.

Ulitimately all decisions will come down to trial and error...do something, if it works and you like it keep doing it tils something goes wrong, or you come up with a better way.

But if your water is safe enough to drink, more than likely it's safe enough to brew with..your beer's not that weak...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-01-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
sharafa
Recipes 

OK, good, I did use bottled water. In one of the brew videos on youtube the guys were pouring fresh botled water into the kettle and boiling it. That seemed a little paranoid to me. In the time it takes to cool several gallons of boiling water, you're more likely to get some backteria back in there anyway.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

When I was doing extracts and topping off, I'd do about a 3 gallon boil, then add two bags of ice to the wort. That would chill it quickly and get most of my top off.

I think I was scolded by a a veteran at the time but was enjoying the beer I produced so it's what I always did.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBrewer View Post
When I was doing extracts and topping off, I'd do about a 3 gallon boil, then add two bags of ice to the wort. That would chill it quickly and get most of my top off.

I think I was scolded by a a veteran at the time but was enjoying the beer I produced so it's what I always did.
Well I would have to say that dumping ice from a store is NOT a good idea, there's way too many paths to infection in that route, the ice may have started off safe, but the bags may not have been sanitized, or the inside of the freezer at the store (some of them don't just have isce in them if you've ever looked.)

That's just too much of Russian Roulette for me.

Making your own in sanitized milk jugs, freezing them and cutting with a sanitized knife would be a safer idea..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll disagree with Revvy. I wouldn't use tap water unless it was run through a filter, I don't want chlorine or chloramines in my beer.

Last edited by wildwest450; 01-01-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I'll disagree with Revvy. I wouldn't use tap water unless it was run through a filter, I don't want chlorine in my beer.
Chlorine and INFECTIONS are two different discussions...We're talking about (noob panic and) infection risk...Chloramines in the water is an entirely different issue..and a different set of preferences...

SO we're both right.

Besides, what did I say above? About 10 brewers and 12 answers.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Chlorine and INFECTIONS are two different discussions...We're talking about infection risk...Chloramines in the water is an entirely different issue..and a different set of preferences...

SO we're both right.

Besides, what did I say above? About 10 brewers and 12 answers.

Hey if I get my chance to disagree with you im taking it! Meaning your seldom misguided.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Hey if I get my chance to disagree with you im taking it! Meaning your seldom misguided.
Uh...didja say something? You're avatar is distracting me...

Ahem..fightclub needs a new thread....I keep suggesting we need a Beer wench thread over there.

1580 seems like a good milestone to me.

Quick Reply