Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > (NOOB POSTING) My Beer is way to sweet...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #11
DocBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to verify, did you check the specific gravity of the beer before bottling? If that number was reasonable, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If the fermentation didn't finish, you could end up with bottle bombs. I doubt that's the case here, but it's worth checking just to be safe.

Other than that, I can second what everyone else has already said. You'd be amazed how much the taste of a beer can change during the 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. To be honest, I've occasionally opened a bottle at just under 2 weeks, and the taste is significantly different (and far better!) just a week later. Use the 3 weeks you're waiting on the beer to condition to go ahead and get your next batch started!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
Quarters
Recipes 

Does the type of priming sugar really make that big of a differnce? I was told to use corn sugar but I just used table sugar instead. Could that maybe why it is kind of sweet too?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the reason to use corn sugar is it has only one bond that the yeast need to break to make it digestible for them so it breaks down more easily but there should not be enough of a diffrence between table sugar and dextrose (corn sugar) to be detectable it might cause conditioning and carbonation to take a little longer to be achived.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarters View Post
Does the type of priming sugar really make that big of a differnce? I was told to use corn sugar but I just used table sugar instead. Could that maybe why it is kind of sweet too?
That too. Corn sugar(dextrose) is only about 75% as sweet as cane(table) sugar. I would definitely wait the 3 weeks now. try to keep them at 70-75*F in order to get them carbed. They will carb at lower temps, but it will take longer. Open one up @ 10 days to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarters View Post
^^^Tell me about it...
Yeah, three weeks is a long time to wait when you have nothing else ready. I've been brewing for 2 and a half months and I've done nine 5 gallon recipes. I'm just now able to forget about whats not ready and enjoy the process. Its hard at first.

You can crack a bottle open at 2 weeks and that may be close enough to where you want it. A belgian wheat I just did was ready after only 10 days in the bottle.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #16
Quarters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasdadhockey View Post
That too. Corn sugar(dextrose) is only about 75% as sweet as cane(table) sugar. I would definitely wait the 3 weeks now. try to keep them at 70-75*F in order to get them carbed. They will carb at lower temps, but it will take longer. Open one up @ 10 days to check.
Will do! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Now I think it's time to get another batch of beer ready to brew.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1070 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 28

One other concern, since you said you tasted the "dregs" at the bottom of the bottling bucket, is that you were tasting a high concentration of the sugar you added. Did you add the dry sugar to the bucket or did you make a simple syrup first? Did you stir it in?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply