Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob-ish questions on primary, secondary + adding flavourings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
ilikepeas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob-ish questions on primary, secondary + adding flavourings

Hi there,

I've just kicked off my 3rd homebrew. I've learnt a couple of things from previous brews (be careful when siphoning, use bottled water, sterilise everything properly, etc) so I'm hoping that this will be a really good one. I really just wanted to run a few things but you guys to see what you thought.

Primary fermentation:
Just kicked this off in the brewing bucket in the kitchen which should keep the temperature pretty constant. I've left previous attempts for 2 - 3 weeks until the bubbles stop coming through but was wondering whether to go for 3 - 4 weeks this time?

Secondary fermentation (in a keg):
So after primary, I put the beer in to the secondary barrel. Last time I also added some fruit for extra flavour at this stage along with the priming sugar. Does that make sense you? I normally don't bother with bottling but might do a couple this time. Last time I left it in the keg for about a week before drinking which worked pretty well. I haven't bothered with a carbonator before but might give one of those a go this time as well.

So I suppose what I'm looking for is a sanity check. Does this sound right to you guys? Any other tips, tricks or advise are more than welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2258 Times on 1967 Posts
Likes Given: 1695

Make sure you're keeping internal ferment temps in the yeast's sweet spot for one. then let it ferment down to a stable Fg,maybe 2 weeks,2.5 weeks. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. No secondary needed unless you want to. I get clear beers without one. I bottle,no kegging equipment yet.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
ilikepeas
Recipes 

Hey,

Sorry that it's taken a while to respond but thanks for getting back to me.
I think I'll stick with the keg. I might bottle 1 though.

Cheers!

Ian

Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
m1batt1
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only concern I could see is adding fruit to the keg with priming sugar. Depending on the fruit and how much of it you're using you are potentially adding a lot more fermentable sugar to the mix. Which in a pressurized container could cause issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply