Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob here- Temperature fluctuations???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Shastapk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob here- Temperature fluctuations???

First post and I'm sure this has been addressed- sorry, I can't seem to figure out the search option yet. Going for my first batch, however I live in a cabin where the temps can range from 70-80 during the day to 40's at night inside (sometimes even colder). Can I brew with this wild range? I can try and insulate/immerse the carboy in water to level this out to some extent. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Swamp cooler with ice bottles when it's too hot. Swamp cooler with aquarium heater when it's too cold.

Search for swamp cooler. You'll see what I mean.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Also, good for you, looking out for fermentation temps. Your first batch is certain to taste much better than my first bubblegum IPA

Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Shastapk
Recipes 

Ooops- I should clarify- I have limited electricity (generator) and no access to ice- town is an hour drive away.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
PatMac
Recipes 

Do you have a bin of some sort and a freezer? A swamp cooler is really the way to go, I'm using one myself right now and it is incredibly efficient and easy to use.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I place my feremnters into a large ice chest it seems to keeps the temp stable longer, still a evaporative cooler technique, but once the water gets chilly, even with the lid open, it stays around 64° if I point the fan at it it will get down to almost 60° within a few hours, add some ice bottles and even cooler yet. I'm thinking about making a insulated foam collar for the ice chest kinda like a keezer but just to keep a lid on things and keep it cool longer.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 on the Swamp Cooler. I just started this a week ago and I am amazed at the steady temps. It is right at 70F and I haven't had to do anything. Great idea on who ever came up with it.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
Shastapk
Recipes 

OK-Thanks guys

But here comes the other noobie question(s)- don't swamp coolers run off of electricity? I need an off-the-grid solution.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

If you're not using electricity at all, and you can't get ice, I don't know that there's anything you can do really. Maybe dig a really deep hole.

If you don't have a fridge/freezer, how are you planning on chilling the beer to drink? Honestly, I'm really confused here.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Shastapk
Recipes 

Actually, I was thinking I may need to dig a big hole and put a large cooler inside of it to make this work. I guess I am trying to go back in time as far as brewing beer There's got to be others in my situation out there.

Quick Reply