Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > noob cold crashing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
berger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default noob cold crashing ?

hey all, My first brew is about ready to bottle after some stupid rookie mistakes. Took a sample reading and the fg has been steady for 3 days. Any how to make a short story long a question. I am taking over the wife's wine fridge which chills wine to 46-50 deg. Is that cold enough to cold crash my beer before bottling? I was going to let the brew sit in there for 24-36 hours.

Thanks for any help and or advice/tips
Cheers,
Ed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Not really...cold works best by cooling quickly down to around 30-32 degrees for a few days. At that temp you would have to wait quite a long time before getting the benefit. BTW, I would give it longer than 3 days after hitting your terminal gravity before going to bottle, the yeast is still working cleaning out fermentation byproducts so a few more weeks on the yeast will go a long ways to producing a better beer.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
berger
Recipes 

Thanks, A little back round about my 1st. brew. I didn't shake up the smack pack to make a German Ale. It slowly fermented then stopped(hydro reading). The sample at that point smelled good but was bitter. After anothre week it smelled I pitched some dry yeast and I reached the kits fg. It has been in the bucket for 3 1/2 weeks . I will try to get the bucket into the fridge next time to cold crash it . I was figuring some of the yeast would drop out with temps in the mid to upper 40's.
cheers,
ed

Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Colder the better- I never cold crash mine to freezing, maybe I get more solids in my bottles, but the beers are plenty clear for me.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
berger
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I put the fermenting bucket into a fridge,which is below 40 deg. I am planning on leaving it there for 18 hours. The wine fridge had the bucket at 48 deg. for 36 hours or so.
cheers

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I was thinking of cold crashing my IPA, what's the minimum time you can cold crash? For example, would it be at all effective for 6 hours (at 32 degrees)?

Quick Reply