Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob brewed too high gravity a beer, needs help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Sean from New Hampshire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob brewed too high gravity a beer, needs help!

I brewed a batch a little while ago, it was a chocolate porter/stout. I didn't realize at the time that my gravity was well over 1.060 (like 1.070 me thinks) and I pitched a packet of Nottingham ale yeast.

It krausened and bubbled out the airlock slowly (though there was alot of krausen) and after 3 days I transfered it out the bucket into a carboy (fruit flies where going crazy around the bucket)

So now its just sitting there, I agitated it acouple days ago and it bubbled through the airlock once or twice. I just took a reading and its a 1.040. I was wondering if I should re pitched some yeast?

I brewed this batch 8/27

Sean

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds like you racked it way too early and will need to repitch; 3 days is too short a primary for just about any beer, let alone something with a high gravity.

I would buy another packet of Nottinghams, pitch it, and attach a blow-off. Then let it sit for at least 2 weeks (you can replace the blow-off with an airlock once the bubbling simmers down). Once you know fermentation is complete (by taking hydrometer readings on consecutive days), you can go ahead and bottle.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Sean from New Hampshire
Recipes 

Thanks alot, I thought as much, just needed some reassurance. I'll definitely repitch soon since it taste like it'll be pretty good!

Sean

Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Also try to move it some where that the fruit flies cant get to it. that may help out.

Cheers

Quick Reply