New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NOOB 1st Stout, 1st attempt at beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 534 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Yes. The beer fairies told me I had to do that.
I can't argue with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
RidingDonkeys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A little more stumbling around on here and I see that a lot of people are leaving it in the primary like you said. I transferred it last night and took the tshirt advice. Even after straining the wort originally, there was a large amount of trub in the bottom of the primary. If for nothing else, it seems the transfer will help for clarity. Thoughts?

Jeff

(Insert witty statement here.)

Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Clarity will improve with time, whether you rack it into secondary or not. The trub and yeast will fall out of suspension and compact on the bottom. The whole idea of needing to get the beer off the yeast as quickly as possible has been debunked many times here. Unless you are washing your yeast and need to add ingredients to your secondary, there is no reason to secondary your beer. Wait until the FG is stable, you cannot taste off flavors in the beer (green apple, butter, etc.), and it has reached your acceptable level of clarity before racking your primary fermentation to a bottling bucket and bottle it. Usually 3-4 weeks.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Spacepuppy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

poped open the top on my 1st one today and it was pretty darn good, maybe a few more days until its fully carbed up but I am pleased.

Quick Reply