Nonfermentable sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindhop

Reaction score
Brewed a coffee and cream stout last weekend and just added the coffee to my carboy. The kit came with a pack of Non-fermentable sugar but the instructions did not say what to do with it. I know I am supposed to add it about now but not sure how to prepare the sugar. Any suggestions?

By the way this blew the airlock off and made quite a mess. Look at the thread "explosion" for pics.

Are you talking about the priming sugar? That you add to it after your ferment is done right before bottling.

You can boil it up with a couple cups of water and add it now, or add it along with your priming sugar in that boil, and add it to the bottling bucket- that's my preferred method at this point. But normally you would have added it to the boil in the last 15 minutes or so.

I actually almost bottled my first batch without the priming sugar lol. I remembered at the last moment.

It's not the priming sugar. I like the idea of adding it to the biting bucket. Simple!

Meant bottling bucket. The guy at the local store told me to add it when I add the coffee. Tasted it when I took a hydrometer reading (OG1.072-FG 1.020) and it tasted good. Thinking about not adding it at all. How will that change the overall taste?

Meant bottling bucket. The guy at the local store told me to add it when I add the coffee. Tasted it when I took a hydrometer reading (OG1.072-FG 1.020) and it tasted good. Thinking about not adding it at all. How will that change the overall taste?

I would guess it would sweeten it? But that is just a guess though.

If you don't add it, the beer won't have the same sweet and creamy taste as the recipe is supposed to. So it won't be the same beer that they designed. And since you picked a recipe that was a coffee and CREAM stout, not adding it will mean all you have is a coffee stout. Which may or may not be overly bitter since the lactose was meant to counter the bitterness.

So add it with my priming sugar boil?

By the way Revvy thanks for helping me through all this. You are well respected throughout this whole site.

Lifting glass to you Revvy

Back