Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Non sealed fermentation.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
CoreyG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Non sealed fermentation.

Hey guys,

usually I do my primary fermentation in a bucket with the lid on but not sealed since I have had the chance to make a hole and attach airlock/blowoff ( yes I know I'm lazy ) Usually I leave it in for only max a week to two, to let the vigorous fermentation die down then transfer to an airlocked carboy.

I know that during the main fermentation, the C02 produced essentially protects it (granted not 100%) so its relatively safe, and after that the alcohol usually is enough to prevent infection.

Here's the thing, school lately has kicked my ass left right and center, and I left a brown ale in a primary for like 5 weeks now.

Still tasks fine, no sign of infection, I'm just curious,
How risky is this really? Have I gotten lucky or will the average batch (if properly cleaned ) turn out okay in an "exposed" fermentor?

Corey

Primary: BBD Biscuit Ale
Secondary: Guiness Clone
Bottled: Victory Brown Ale, Biscuit Brown Ale
Planned: Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The key is in the taste! If it tastes fine then you are good to go. As stated by a well known HBT member, "nothing pathogenic to humans can live in beer"!

I have left beers for 3-4 weeks in primary routinely and they are always good. In fact I only use primaries unless I am dry hopping!

Many homebrewers do not use airlocks or even blowoff tubes they do exactly what you do and that is loosely cover the fermentor.

Bottle/keg it and enjoy!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Originally, brewers used to keep their fermentors open so wild yeast would ferment the wort. Too this day some micro breweries use open fermentation tanks.

That being said, if there are no off flavors or signs of infection I think you'll be alright.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Yeah heck, people have open-fermented for centuries! You might even catch something nice and funkify your beer in a good way. So long as its covered I wouldn't worry as much about contamination, and oxidation usually (not always) takes a while to show up. I say bottle/keg it, and if it starts to taste funky, you'll just have to drink faster .

Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

someone else pointed out on another thread how people with arthritis or weakness in their hands never seal their buckets at all. i've stopped sealing my buckets, makes it easier to skim off the krausen.

Quick Reply