Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > non food grade bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
Melchizedek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So why are HD/Lowes plastic buckets still recommended, apart from the dyed ones?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
It is true. As others mentioned, just because a certain type of plastic can be food grade doesn't mean that one product is. Dyes, mold release agents, etc. that aren't part of the plastic itself can render it non-food safe.
Actually, to be food grade EVERYTHING has to be....A former member who was a plastics engineer, posted a ton of great information on here.

Quote:
As far as leaching goes, a food grade polypropylene will not typically contain anything harmful that will leach into the mash at an unacceptable level (true for HDPE as well). The company can not label it as food grade if this was the case (this isn't China where companies can put melamine into dog food without regulation, or lead based paints on toys). The only thing I can think of that might leach into the mash would be a mold release agent that's there to help separate the liner from the mold during it's initial manufacturing process. Probably a food grade mineral oil or paraffinic compound that's easily removed with soap and water. There may also be some type of antioxidant or UV inhibitor to stabilize the polymer from high manufacturing temperatures or sunlight exposure. Again, these would be food grade and not pose a risk at the levels added. Look at some food labels and see how often you find BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene), yet you still eat this. Here's something else to think about: The residual component (terephthalic acid) used to make polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is in every plastic soda bottle because it leaches into the drink, especially the longer a bottle stays on the shelf. This is why a coke tastes different in plastic than glass or a can. Yet PET bottles are food safe.
let's have some common sense here, you think they'd use NON FOOD SAFE materials to make food safe?

Guys, for a bottling bucket, ESPECIALLY, you beer's only going to be in contact with the plastic for less than an hour. If you've cleaned and sanitized you bottling bucket, it's really doubtfull that anything's going to have time to leach out into your beer, even if it WERE possible.

This is MY Bottling bucket, Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

Been using it for years, noone's died, been poisoned, had their d*ck fall off or grown excessive manboobs from drinking my beer.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Actually, to be food grade EVERYTHING has to be....
That's what I said I said that just because a certain type of plastic (in this case polyethylene) is often used to make a food grade product doesn't mean that all polyethylene products are food safe due to different dyes, release agents, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack
just because a certain type of plastic can be food grade doesn't mean that one product is. Dyes, mold release agents, etc. that aren't part of the plastic itself can render it non-food safe.
I do agree that there's very little concern with a bottling bucket.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 496 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
So why are HD/Lowes plastic buckets still recommended, apart from the dyed ones?
These buckets are specifically labeled as 'Food Grade'. They have other white buckets that are not labeled this way.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
reibrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After fumbling around bottling with the siphon I said screw it and got a proper bottling bucket with a spigot. Using the Lowes bucket to haul grain and it fits my collander perfectly to squeeze my bag into. Cost me $19 but will make my beer making life easier

Quick Reply