New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No water in airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
AutoDisaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No water in airlock

Hello Fellows

I have had a Coopers brand Stout made fermenting for 5 days, made from two cans of liquid malt extract without additional sugar. I have neglected to monitor it due to other activities and just discovered that I didn't have any water in the airlock.

It has been maintained at around 20 degrees celcius (go the metric system!). The SG has gone down from 1054 to 1028 over that period. It tastes okay, similar to previous batches, and looks normal - no visible signs of infection.

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions about the effects of not having a secure airlock?

Cheers

Alex Mortlock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDisaster
Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions about the effects of not having a secure airlock?
You run a higher risk of getting an infection, but it sounds like your beer is fine. If you were able to drink some and it tasted ok, it's not infected.

-walker

Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #3
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't have direct knowledge, but I can surmise (ok, call it opinion, nay, call it a guess). You are probably OK if you had the water lock on. Yes, you were open to the air. But, it wasn't a straight path to the outside, and bacteria wouldn't have crawled through the convolutions of your dry water lock.

See Figure 4 about Louis Pasteur's experiments to settle the question of spontaneous generation.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Ah, you'll be fine.

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
AutoDisaster
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback comrades.

Alex.

Quick Reply