Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No starter effects

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
kirbykollege
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No starter effects

I brewed using my first liquid yeast (wyeast Leuven pale) without a starter. Bubbled moderately for about 9 days and left me with only an inch in trub, which is unusual for me. I'm sure that using a starter is much more effective, but could my batch suffer from not doing so? What are the proven effects if not? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The trub layer cannot be readily used as a measure on how well the yeast performed. You may not have transferred as much cold/hot break into the fermenter, maybe you didn't use as many hops, etc.

What did you brew, what was the grain and hop bill, batch type, OG, etc.?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Most importantly what was the OG and how did the bag puff up after ur smacked it?

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
kirbykollege
Recipes 

"Le petite Orange" was the brew. OG was 1.060 (supposed to be less, but I only did 4 gal to raise it) and the bag swelled up nicely.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Wyeast contents that you should not need a starter. Mr malty contents that you would need about 167 billion cells. You're probably OK.

If you have a lot of diacetyl, fusel alchohols, esters, sulphur, or if your FG is higher than what you expect, consider using a starter. Since there is some disagreement about the pitching rate, you may find some diacetyl, fusel alchohols, esters, and sulphur; however, this will probably not be enough to ruin your beer. If you want the beer to be cleaner, pitch with a starter next time. Temperature control and aeration are also a factor.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Quick Reply