Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ''No sparge'' noob quesiton

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
dexter05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ''No sparge'' noob quesiton

Hi..

Guys, in the no sparge process, th secondary water should be in which temp? Tried to find it in some articles but could not fnd it... Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
bduane
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is no "secondary water" in no sparge... You mash at mash temp and collect your runnings...

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Do you mean the mash-out water? You can still do a mash-out in a no-sparge lauter, and if so then it depends on how much grains and water you have in your mash. The goal is to add an amount of hot water that will raise the mash to about 168-170.

But I get the feeling you might be confusing batch sparging with no sparging? If so, a calculator will help immensely. Such as this one: http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
dexter05
Recipes 

Thanks for answering, but I believe I wasn't clear in my question...
After mashing, I will throw inside the kettle some more water to complete the desired volume, right? I am confused about the temperature of the water I am gonna throw... Can it be natural, or must be the same as the mash-out phase, for example?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 59

For BIAB, no sparge, you want to mash thin. Your kettle should be filled an inch or two short of the top leaving just enough head space to stir. Turn the burner back on and stir when it is time to mash out to get the temperature to 170. Many people skip the mash out and just pull the grains after the sachifricarion rest is done.

That's no sparge. if you want to add a dunk sparge that's different. Or you could pour sparge water through the grains if they are sitting above your kettle. See my very simple, yet functional, setup here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/biab.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
For BIAB, no sparge, you want to mash thin. Your kettle should be filled an inch or two short of the top leaving just enough head space to stir. Turn the burner back on and stir when it is time to mash out to get the temperature to 170. Many people skip the mash out and just pull the grains after the sachifricarion rest is done.

That's no sparge. if you want to add a dunk sparge that's different. Or you could pour sparge water through the grains if they are sitting above your kettle. See my very simple, yet functional, setup here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/biab.html
That's kind of vague. What if he has a 40 gallon pot and wants to do a 5 gallon batch?

The formula for a no sparge with no infusion mashout would be:

Desired preboil volume + (.07 x pounds of grain)

Example, if you want 6.5 gallons of preboil and you're mashing 10 pounds of grain it's 6.5 + (.07 x 10) = 7.2 gallons of water total.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2431 Times on 1717 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Most people add the rest of the volume to the mash tun in some manner in order to rinse the sugars from the grain. Some people pour the water in at the same rate the wort flows out and that's Fly Sparging. Some drain the mash tun and then add the sparge water and that's Batch Sparging. Some just add the sparge water without first draining the mash tun and that's Batch Sparging too.

To do "No Sparge" brewing you would drain the mash tun and just use whatever wort you get. It makes for a very inefficient process, but some claim it makes the best beer.

If you add the remaining water to the mash tun before collecting the wort, then that's Batch Sparging and you just want to try and keep the temperature below 170, so I think most people add 168 water to make sure they don't go over. It's mostly a concern with Fly Sparging I believe, where the pH of the sparge could drop low enough to cause tannin extraction.

Those temps are obviously in Fahrenheit. I'm betting that you use Celsius where you live?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Some just add the sparge water without first draining the mash tun and that's Batch Sparging too.

If you add the remaining water to the mash tun before collecting the wort, then that's Batch Sparging
I have to disagree there. If you drain the tun one time and all that wort is the same gravity, it's no sparge. Batch sparging is not defined simply by punctuated infusions without draining. Those are just infusions.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2431 Times on 1717 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I have to disagree there. If you drain the tun one time and all that wort is the same gravity, it's no sparge. Batch sparging is not defined simply by punctuated infusions without draining. Those are just infusions.
Yes, I agree technically. However, when I think of no sparge I think of not adding any additional water to the mash. Once you add water to help rinse the grains it seems like it would perform the same function as a sparge.

In Beersmith there is a check box for draining the tun before adding sparge water. They are both listed under batch sparge.

What would be the advantage of adding the additional water to the MLT before draining? Mash Out?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I look at it as getting to dial in your mash thickness to control pH drift, raising to mashout temps with the second infusion and yet still getting the improved wort quality (allegedly) of a no sparge. The second infusion is just diluting the sugar concentration in the entire mash.

Quick Reply