Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No signs of fermentation after 5 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
the7yearplan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No signs of fermentation after 5 days

Me and my girlfriend attempted our first brew this last week and after 5 days there is no signs of fermentation. I think I messed up when I tried to re-hydrate the yeast by A) putting it in water that was too hot and B) by re-hydrating it too early (over an hour before we pitched it). After not seeing an evidence of fermentation in the airlock I cracked the lid of the bucket yesterday and nothing is going on. We are also seeing a drop in the water level of our three piece airlock which is a separate issue but has us both confused. The bucket is also a little cold (63-64 F) and we are planning to move it to a warmer place in the house.

Our plan is to buy some more yeast and re-pitch. The soonest I can do this is tomorrow as our local home brew shop was closed Monday for the holiday and is closed today as their normal day off. Is this the proper course of action?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
geer537
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What was your Original Gravity and the Gravity reading on your Hydrometer when you cracked the lid?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

that airlock means nothing, it's a co2 vent. only gravity readings can give you 'visible signs of fermentation'.

**summoning revvy**

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Not to pile on, but I echo the above. Check your gravity to see if anything is happening. If not, then re pitch and see what happens.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7yearplan View Post
Me and my girlfriend attempted our first brew this last week and after 5 days there is no signs of fermentation. I think I messed up when I tried to re-hydrate the yeast by A) putting it in water that was too hot and B) by re-hydrating it too early (over an hour before we pitched it). After not seeing an evidence of fermentation in the airlock I cracked the lid of the bucket yesterday and nothing is going on. We are also seeing a drop in the water level of our three piece airlock which is a separate issue but has us both confused. The bucket is also a little cold (63-64 F) and we are planning to move it to a warmer place in the house.

Our plan is to buy some more yeast and re-pitch. The soonest I can do this is tomorrow as our local home brew shop was closed Monday for the holiday and is closed today as their normal day off. Is this the proper course of action?
What is the yeast strain? Most yeasts are very tolerant in the lower 60s

Rehydrating too warm could kill the yeast but an hour before pitching is perfectly acceptable.

Were there other signs of fermentation (krausen ring around the inside of the bucket or a krausen layer atop the liquid)?

An airlock CAN tell you if fermentation is happening. The absence of airlock activity does not necessarily mean fermentation is not happening.

If you don't see the physical evidence of fermentation krausen ring or layer, repitch.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

What's your current gravity? That's really the ONLY sign you can go by.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
What is the yeast strain? Most yeasts are very tolerant in the lower 60s
I'll second that - usually low 60's ambient is perfect. Keep in mind the yeast generate heat when they ferment, so your actual wort temp can be 5-10 degrees higher. Hot fermentations don't taste too good, I'd err on the side of cooler.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
the7yearplan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow thanks for all the responses everyone.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tonight and see if it has changed from the original of 1.050. There is no krausen layer or ring inside of the bucket but I'll confirm fermentation with the hydrometer and if nothing is going on I'll re-pitch.

The yeast strain is Nottingham Ale Yeast if that makes a difference.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7yearplan View Post
Wow thanks for all the responses everyone.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tonight and see if it has changed from the original of 1.050. There is no krausen layer or ring inside of the bucket but I'll confirm fermentation with the hydrometer and if nothing is going on I'll re-pitch.

The yeast strain is Nottingham Ale Yeast if that makes a difference.
If you're using Nottingham, it is very happy at 57-62 degrees so no need to warm it up!

Check the Sg and see where you're at. If there isn't any change for some reason, you can add repitch.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To clear up the airlock issue, the water will drop as the piece in the center is pushed up and out of the water by pressure in the fermenter.

Quick Reply