Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No secondary, how to bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
matthague
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default No secondary, how to bottle

Hey Guys,

So I opted for a no secondary this time around (since I have messed up EVERY batch so far I thought this might be safer). Doing so I picked the bottling bucket to primary in (I have 2 plastic buckets, one a fermenter, one a bottler) but now when I think of it, if I bottle from here won't I get all the trub in the bottles?

Should I syphon into the other bucket, let it sit for a bit then syphon back to the bottler on bottle day? Or should I run the tap at the bottom to see if I can pull out clear beer without hitting the trub and going straight to bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Somehow you have to mix in your priming sugars as well. I would transfer to the bottling bucket, and mix in your priming sugar as you transfer. At least that's the way I did it when I was bottling.

Do you have an Auto-siphon? If not... get one.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

You should've made sure to primary in the non-spigot pale. Now about all you can do is rack to the other one,clean out the bottling bucket & rack back ,using tubing on the spigot & auto siphon on the other to bottom of other pale. Or just use carb drops in bottles & run the bottling wand from the bottling bucket you primaried in. Cooper's FV's work that way.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
matthague
Recipes 

Thanks chaps. I have the coopers drops so priming straight into the bottle is fine, but in doing so am I still running the risk of pouring a pile of trub into the bottle?

If I bottle drop prime with the coopers should I still swap it into the other one, then back again to fill them or can I skip that step now?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4460 Times on 3246 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthague View Post
Thanks chaps. I have the coopers drops so priming straight into the bottle is fine, but in doing so am I still running the risk of pouring a pile of trub into the bottle?

If I bottle drop prime with the coopers should I still swap it into the other one, then back again to fill them or can I skip that step now?
You don't "pour" beer to bottle, ever. You siphon from above the trub. It's easier to siphon (rack) to a bottling bucket, and then using a bottling wand in the spigot, just fill the bottles. You can siphon from the bucket into the bottles, but that's a huge pain in the butt.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

You know, you could siphon it out of the bottling bucket into the other bucket, then just use the siphon to bottle. Yes, it's slightly harder than using a bottling bucket with a valve.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 116

It might waste some beer but maybe you could just runoff from the bottling bucket till it runs clear, and then start filling bottles?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Its already been said I think, but if it were me I would siphon into the "other" bucket, clean the spigot bucket, sanitize, siphon back and bottle. But that's just me.

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
matthague
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You don't "pour" beer to bottle, ever. You siphon from above the trub. It's easier to siphon (rack) to a bottling bucket, and then using a bottling wand in the spigot, just fill the bottles. You can siphon from the bucket into the bottles, but that's a huge pain in the butt.
Thanks. I do have a bottling wand but hasn't bothered with it in the past as it looked so convenient to just put a bottle up to the spigot and pour it in. Does this harm the brew by adding too much air or something?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
matthague
Recipes 

Appreciate the input guys, I've an auto syphoner that I haven't used yet so this looks like the right time to crack it out and swap buckets.

In terms of timing, should I wait Til fermentation is complete then swap, sanitize and swap back on same day and bottle, or should it rest in between all that movement?

Quick Reply