Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No O.G. reading.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Sea_of_Shells
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default No O.G. reading.

Greetings!

We brewed our very first beer yesterday, but unfortunately we were unable to take an O.G. reading. We have a hydrometer, but we simply didn't have a vessel large enough to hold a sample in order to submerge it. I guess my question is this; Without the O.G., is there a point in trying to determine final gravity? Is it going to be harder to tell when fermentation is done? I've read that the air lock isn't as reliable as other methods. The beer in question is an IPA. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would not worry about it wait about 2 weeks then it will be done

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
MistFM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually am going to disagree with RandomBeerGuy. I had a kit one time that I waited 2 weeks and bottled it, followed the recipe exactly and when I opened my bottles it foamed up out from the top. I am thinking that I wasn't entirely done fermenting in the primary, but I never checked a F.G. to know... I learned my lesson, I'm not going to bottle unless I get two exact F.G. readings consecutively. But one kit I did I just waited 2 weeks and bottles and it was fine, so who knows.....

Sporting Kansas City 'til I die!

American Outlaws Soccer Supporter's Group: www.theamericanoutlaws.com

Free Beer Movement: www.thefreebeermovement.com

Old 08-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If it's an extract kit, and you followed the directions pretty close, and had the right amount at the end, then it's pretty much going to be real close to what the OG of the recipe states.

Measure it after 10 or 14 days and see where it's at. Then move forward after 3 days of no change.

Buy a testing vessel before then, they are cheap.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
MistFM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
If it's an extract kit, and you followed the directions pretty close, and had the right amount at the end, then it's pretty much going to be real close to what the OG of the recipe states.

Measure it after 10 or 14 days and see where it's at. Then move forward after 3 days of no change.

Buy a testing vessel before then, they are cheap.
My hygrometer actually came in a tube that I pour my fermenting beer in (sanitize the cup, of course), and it works well to see what my gravity is. Best of all, it was free w/ the hygrometer .

Sporting Kansas City 'til I die!

American Outlaws Soccer Supporter's Group: www.theamericanoutlaws.com

Free Beer Movement: www.thefreebeermovement.com

Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Use the tube the hydrometer comes in to take the measurement. It takes less wort/beer than the graduated cylinders to make a reading and you can't beat the price.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistFM View Post
My hygrometer actually came in a tube that I pour my fermenting beer in (sanitize the cup, of course), and it works well to see what my gravity is. Best of all, it was free w/ the hygrometer .
I'm a chemist, and just use a graduated cylinder I have from work. I don't sanitize it, because I don't put my beer back in after I pull a sample, I drink it. I like the cylinder because the hydrometer has plenty of room to float, and I'm able to spin and degas the sample to ensure it's accurate.

Also, I'm assuming it's a typo, but it's probably hard to measure your specific gravity with a hygrometer, since those are used to measure humidity.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Sea_of_Shells
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies gentlemen (and ladies of there are any). It never occurred to me to use the tube that the hydrometer came in. I guess we'll take the first reading in a few days. It's been sitting at a constant 75 degrees, but then again it's been over 100 degrees where I live. I can't possible get the closet any cooler. I hope this won't affect the final product. I believe the yeast that we used has a pretty wide temperature range.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
scoppi
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_of_Shells View Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen (and ladies of there are any). It never occurred to me to use the tube that the hydrometer came in. I guess we'll take the first reading in a few days. It's been sitting at a constant 75 degrees, but then again it's been over 100 degrees where I live. I can't possible get the closet any cooler. I hope this won't affect the final product. I believe the yeast that we used has a pretty wide temperature range.
Id try to get that temp down the best you can. If the ambient temp is 75 degrees, theres a real possibility that the beer can get up to 85 when fermentation peaks. Thats too warm for 95% of yeast strains. Search "swamp coolers" or the wet tshirt and fan method for ideas on how to cool it down. Doing your best here is a whole lot more important than getting an og reading.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Sea_of_Shells
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So the fermentation bucket is at 82 degrees. I'm assuming this is outrageously high. Potentially damaging to the beer. Besides the wet towel/fan combitnation, is there another way to cool it? I'm at work, but the wife is home trying her best to cool it. Again, I live in SoCal and it's bee 95 plus every single day. The coolest part of the house is the downstairs closet, but it's still too hot. Sorry to bug, I'm an amateur. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply