Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No lid bucket fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Bigjuicy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default No lid bucket fermentation?

So yesterday i kind of ran over the lid for one of my plastic fermenters (don't) ask. Is it possible for me to use saran wrap to cover my fermentor. I don't feel like getting a lid since i am getting a glass car boy in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on how to cover a bucket fermentor without a lid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lids are cheap. Or go for broke and do an open fermented lambic boo-ya.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Find something hard and flat like a small piece of plywood or cookie sheet or cutting board. Anything larger then the mouth of the bucket. Sanitize one side. Then sanitize a kitchen or terrycloth towel with starsan, iodophor or dilute bleach solution. Again large enough to cover the bucket opening. If a bit of starsan gets in the bucket no problem, otherwise be careful.

Stretch the cloth across the top of bucket and pin it down with your flat thing. As fermentation starts you will get a positive Co2 pressure in the bucket that will keep bad stuff out. The cloth will act as somewhat of a filter.

Actually a lot of bucket fermenters just put the lid on loosely in a similar way, just because the lids can be tough to get off if snapped on. As long as you got gasses going out not much is going to get in.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's the difference between a piece of saran wrap or something flat covered with terrycloth? I don't think you have to get that elaborate with covering the opening of a bucket.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiezer View Post
What's the difference between a piece of saran wrap or something flat covered with terrycloth? I don't think you have to get that elaborate with covering the opening of a bucket.
Even in rural Missouri we don't consider a scrap of plywood and a rag "elaborate".

I'd want something a little wider & stouter than saran wrap if I was going to let the thing sit around for a full fermentation. Critters would fall right on through saran wrap. In a pinch I'd grab a couple of those blue Wal-Mart bags as they blew through the yard, until I had time to find a board and a rag.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Bacon
Recipes 

im with you guys on the just cover it thing. make sure nothing can fall in, you could even just use a sterilized strip of aluminum foil, sterilize the inside of it, cover and walk away. as long as nothing crushes the foil into the fermenter you should be ok. the plywood could even go on top of it to be safe.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Some have used tinfoil, saran wrap, any number of things work great. SOme folks who have arthritus use a piece of plexiglass on top of their buckets that way they can actually see the krausen and stuff. As long as it's covered and excess co2 can get out, then you'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts

I just pictured using too much aluminun foil, and attaching it a little too tightly and having your fermenter look like a 5 gallon can of Jiffy-Pop popcorn...

Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Bacon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
I just pictured using too much aluminun foil, and attaching it a little too tightly and having your fermenter look like a 5 gallon can of Jiffy-Pop popcorn...
doubt that would happen, but yes, that would be very funny

Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I like the plexiglass / acrylic idea for buckets I actually would like to see whats going on hence why using a Better bottle. I have no reason not to use a bucket other than I can't see whats happening.

so plexiglass plus a ratchet strap and tubing for blow off and you've got yourself a nice little viewing hole.

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply