Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No krausen in starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
jakead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No krausen in starter

I made my first starter on Thursday night for a brew I was planning today. I checked it today and there is no krausen whatsoever. When I shake it I CO2 is definitely coming out but other than that all I see is cloudy wort. Should I go ahead and pitch or should I wait?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Well, I would think that it will be fine...what kind of beer is it? If its a big beer, underpitching could have bad effects. Plus, depending on the yeast and what you used (DME or something else) it might not produce krausen in the starter.
So questions:
1. What kind of yeast?
2. What did you use for a starter?
3. What kind of beer is it?
4. Where in Memphis are you? Im in Midtown.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
jakead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1. wlp570
2. Light DME
3. Belgian Golden OG 1.050
4. Im in Germantown, but was in East/midtown a year ago. Good to see a fellow Vol fan on the forum.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

It sounds like it will be fine. 1.050 is not too big, so I say pitch it and it will be bubbling by tonight. Also, watch out for blow-off if you are using a 5 gallon carboy. If you are using a 6.5gal bucket then you'll be good. Go Vols!
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There is very little activity with making starters, rarely do they bubble, even more rarely is there a krausen that we see. The only true activity that most of us see is just a creamy band at the bottom when it flocculates out.

Starters are some of the most "un-exciting" fermentations ever.

That one is cold crashed, but even if it is a t room temp, you should see the sediment in the bottom. I use a stirplate, but usually stop it a few hours early to let it settle.

Basically if you see a creamy band of sediment at the bottom, then it's done it's job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Damn double posting.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply