Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No hot or cold break, mess now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
titleist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No hot or cold break, mess now

Need a bit of help here...

Did a blue moon clone the other day, never got a hot break or cold break. Not much left in boil pot. Now I've got a blown airlock with dried foam almost like cement and the entire airspace in the carboy is filled with this semisolid foam now that's not going down on day 3 of ferm.

Should I rack this to get rid of all this gunk and let it finish fermenting in a new carboy without all this gunk or let it ride?

At the moment the best I could do was put a rag soaked in starsan over the top of the lock to keep it from blowing all over the place. Only lock I had was the silicone stopper type with holes and a flap to let CO2 escape so now it's stuck shut.

Was thinking racking, cleaning gummed up airlock and finishing...yes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Leave it the way it is. You had a fairly normal fermentation. Have a blow off tube ready to use for your next brew.
The krausen will begin dropping in a few more days to a week from now. Completely normal. The dried krausen, inside the carboy, is in a sterile environment and will have no detrimental effect on your beer.
Clean the cap and reinstall it when krausen is no longer being forced out. Keep your make shift air lock damp with Starsan.
That was good thinking in what was probably a stressful moment.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Was this Blue Moon clone all grain or extract? It does sound like you applied to much heat to your boil kettle, which resulted in the extreme boil off. The wort surface, in the boil kettle, only needs to be rolling over part of the surface to be effective.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Was this Blue Moon clone all grain or extract? It does sound like you applied to much heat to your boil kettle, which resulted in the extreme boil off. The wort surface, in the boil kettle, only needs to be rolling over part of the surface to be effective.
(?) I think "The not much left in the pot" he was talking about was, there wasn't much hot or cold break left in the pot. Not that he boiled off and had not enough wort.

To the O.P., you're probably fine. You cleaned up good and made the best effort to keep the environment sanitized.

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
titleist
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I couldn't tolerate it anymore. I racked, and since I was enraged all during the entire process of racking I'm sure this will end up infected.

The entire contents of the boil pot ended up in the fermenter. Never got a hot break or cold break so every iota of protein ended up in the fermenter along with all the hops and gunk.

Included is what the carboy looked like today. Nothing but cemented yeast all over everything and everywhere.

Now in hindsight and after reading the first post I could have chosen to clean the garbage off the outside, clean the neck and lock and sanitize them and put it back on, but all the cement and garbage inside the gallon and a half air space inside the carboy would have remained.

Panic and anger got the best of this one.... let's see what the siphoned experiment turns into shall we?

1 pack of wyeast, wasted along with the DME and grain. Nice.....

Just to add, I had 6.5 gallons boiling in a 10 gallon blichmann. Rolling boil... don't know how I could have boiled it faster without scorching the bottom.

Poor planning on my part I had no paddle long enough to reach the bottom to whirpool so I just used the clean spoon, but you can't see through the wort to know if you got a mound or not.... as I also doubt my vorlauf did any good, went through 3 pitchers each time and still got a ton of garbage in the wort. Grain bill 40% wheat, rollers at .039. Went slow on vorlauf but obviously not slow enough I guess.

Way too much garbage got into the fermenter, and it all coagulated during a strong ferment and cemented a gallon .5 of headspace into a block of yeast.

img_0585.jpg   img_0586.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
titleist
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post

all grain... yah the prob was no break was removed during the boil and it all went into fermenter along with most of the yeast.

It's gun hunt opening this weekend, my dogs were all over the garage during the process and I had a neighbor staring at me waiting for it all to finish so we could eat and start drinking. You couldn't have asked for a worse situation to try and brew your first beer in.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
The_Bishop
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 71

First off - It's no big deal if the break and trub ends up in the fermenter.

Second - Learn to RDWHAHB.

"Hops are ok, but I don't want the whole rabbit." - Unknown HBT

EJay Likes This 
Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

That doesn't look to bad. On your ceiling would look bad.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
vincentAlpha
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've had some bad ones too, blew an airlock right off and shotgunned the underneath of my counter with gunk before I learned to use a blow-off for the initial of the primary(the missus was not pleased with the kitchen smelling like stale hops...). I wouldn't go pouring it down the sink just yet should the thought enter your mind, if it doesn't get infected a bit of extra time before and after bottling could help things quite a bit. When it comes to homebrewing and things going bad Bishop has the right idea, RDWHAHB and try not to get too worked up.

Nothing to brew now, but give me time...

Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Brew_G
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
First off - It's no big deal if the break and trub ends up in the fermenter.

Second - Learn to RDWHAHB.

Exactly. Next time, if you post a question looking for some help, take the advice given. Kick back and relax, because most likely what you think is a problem isn't a problem at all.

Quick Reply