Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No headspace in carboy!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Wyrmwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irena View Post
...i have a 5 gallon carboy...
You can use this, you just need a blow off tube.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/usin...rimary-228912/
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Curious how much headspace is needed if I am using a blowoff. Any tips? I have a similar issue with only maybe 1/2 gallon of space left. Should I transfer a bit into a one gallon jug and try to ferment part in there?

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 266

When you don't have enough headspace you will lose some beer through the blowoff. You will lose less if you control how active the ferment is by keeping the fermenting beer cool. I tend to see (through the side of my bucket) about 1 1/2 inch of krausen and if my bucket lid seals good, the airlock bubbles once or twice per second at the fastest. I wouldn't move any of the wort, just ferment it where it is and accept that you may have a little loss. If you transfer you risk contaminating the entire batch. Better to lose a little than lose it all.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #14
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great approach. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about leaving it so will go with that plan.

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Late comment...

Was thinking about this...

The issue with removing some wort, you risk contamination, but then so do you with suckback - even if your blowoff tube is immersed in sanitizer, you risk pouring some sanitizer in your beer.

Also, what do you do with the wort? You could prime with gyle if you are bottling or cask conditioning or you could simply add it back, like a staged fermentation, or a combination.

I have not fermented in my 5 gallon carboys lately. I used to more often, but the problem is, different recipes and different yeast have different degrees of blowback and while sometimes I get away with, not always... I'm also doing all grain now, and haven't completely dialed in my equipment and evaporation loss, so my batches are anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 gallons (though the last two seem to be settling about 5.25). That would just barely fit in my carboys, so been using buckets. I do prefer carboy fermentation, because you can easily see what's going on, but I think I'll invest in a couple of 6.5 gallon carboys. I really hate plastic since it breaks (and breaks down) on me and is harder to clean. I also do sours and won't let those touch plastic. My last sour blew out on me pretty good. The neck was nearly stopped up with trub, but I also didn't use a blowoff tube (didn't want to get sour in my blowoff tube - kind of hard to clean). I ended up tossing a sanitized towel over it to minimize the cleanup...

I think if I end up with too little (4.5 gal or under) I would use a 5g carboy, but otherwise, it has the potential to blow out a bunch of your beer (my greatest concern). Depending on the recipe, it can be quite a mess as well as risk ruining your beer.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

If you are really good with sanitizing and have the 1gallon available I would probably have racked a gallon and fermented it separately. I've done it a couple of times without fail. SANITIZE WELL!

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #17
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Not to be a jerk..but am I the only one wondering how this guy made it to a senior member not knowing about headspace in a carboy?? Dude spend 20 minutes doing some research on Google.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Quick Reply