Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Fizz again.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
o0_Enigma_0o
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Fizz again.....

Hi Guys,
Im on my second brew now, My first brew failed... big time... was flat and in the end it tasted bad....
Anyway, I tried again,

I Fermented the lager, with a fish tank heater in to stop it going to cold. Everything looked good when it came to bottling... I had a good hydromeater reading etc

I have had my family save me soda bottles, I cleaned them all, added 5ml of sugar and it looked really fizzy... i had to put the lids on fast to ensure it didnt come over the top....

Its been in the bottles for about 3 weeks now, i was mega excited with trying the new brew... so last night i opened one of the bottles..... it only just had enough gas to make a fizz as i opened the bottle....
I poured into a jug and it was flat... no head....
I poured into a glass with a "widget" in the bottom... and there was a few bubbles rising, but nothing really happening... The taste wasnt bad... it was just flat!...

What am i doing wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think no one is answering because we don't have a clue what you did - or I don't.

Quote:
it looked really fizzy
What looked fizzy? I've never had anythign look fizzy at bottling.

Quote:
i had to put the lids on fast to ensure it didn't come over the top....
what?

I have no idea what technique you are using. What have you read or been told so maybe we can get a clue what you are doing.

Soda bottles?

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would suspect that you're not getting a good seal with your soda bottle tops....

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
o0_Enigma_0o
Recipes 

ok, Sorry, I have re-read my message and your right it makes no sense at all.....

Ok lets try again...

This brew, is my second, and was a gerodie Lager extract kit.
It had fermented for about 10 days when i got a reading of 1.006 on the hydromeater,

I got hold of loads of 1litre soda bottles... cleaned them out, then syphoned the liquid from the fermenter into the bottles...

I then tipped 5ml of sugar into the bottles, and the lager seemed to froth up and come up to the top of the bottle.... i quickly put the lid on tight and shook the bottles so the suger would dissolve. the bottles didnt seem to have much pressure in them, and now about 3 weeks later, they are the same :|

I hope this is clearer

thx

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The good thing about plastic bottles is that if it's the seal, you can generally tell by squeezing them. If there is any give and take... or obviously any sound, there's a leak.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
o0_Enigma_0o
Recipes 

ive put the plastic bottles on there side and stood on em...
they give a small amount... but no leak or air sounds....

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hello!

I am curious if you would see better results by dissolving your sugar into a priming solution and them mixing that solution into your batch before bottling. It sounds as if you are transferring liquid to bottle first and then adding the dry sugar to each individual bottle. If that is the case you probably are not getting the sugar disolved enough to mix with the fermented beer...so carbonation is less than ultimate even if you shake things up.

Most brewers dissolve the sugar or DME or whatever they are using to carbonate into about 2 cups of boiling water first. Then let that cool to around room temp. Mix that liquid soution with your fermented beer to get a better blend between two liquids. Finally, move the mixture into individual bottles. Hope that helps!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

If you add sugar to the bottles after filling with beer, you'll get a beer volcano. I suspect that is what happened to you, and you lost quite a bit of the priming sugar out with the foam. (Google "nucleation site" for the scientific explanation).

Next time, either add the sugar FIRST or dissolve the sugar in some boiling water (about 2 cups). Pour that into a bucket with a spigot. Siphon the beer into that bucket, with no splashing, but with the tip under the surface of the priming solution, so that it "swirls" in, filling from the bottom. Use a piece of the siphon tubing to fill the bottles, or buy a bottling wand. Those are great! You stick one end into the spigot and there is a valve on the other end that opens and closes when your press a bottle into it. That way, you leave the spigot open (no opening and closing to aerate the beer) and no splashing into the bottle, because you just remove the bottle from the wand when it's full and the flow stops. That will make a huge difference in bottling for you.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
o0_Enigma_0o
Recipes 

Hi,
For my 3rd brew... today after the fermentation has finished... i had a reading of 0.996 on the hydromeater, i boiled the sugar in about 100ml of water. i added it to the pressure barrel after filling with the lager.... i then shook the barrel and im hoping it will be better

As for the volcano effect... yeah thats what I had but i didnt lose any of the beer after the first one.... i was ready with the lids
is there anyway to save my brew?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0_Enigma_0o View Post
Hi,
For my 3rd brew... today after the fermentation has finished... i had a reading of 0.996 on the hydromeater, i boiled the sugar in about 100ml of water. i added it to the pressure barrel after filling with the lager.... i then shook the barrel and im hoping it will be better

As for the volcano effect... yeah thats what I had but i didnt lose any of the beer after the first one.... i was ready with the lids
is there anyway to save my brew?
Where are you learning your brewing/bottling methods? I highly recommend you pick up "How to Brew" by John Palmer.
NORTHERN BREWER: Beer Books

Quick Reply