Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No fermentation?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
walcotteric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default No fermentation?!?

Okay, it's been over a week and as far as I can tell my brew is not fermenting at all. I'm not entirely certain what went wrong, but I have a few ideas. My biggest question right now is what do I do with it? Is it garbage? Or is it salvageable?

I didn't invest too much time or money into this brew, so I'm not too worried about it, I just consider it a learning experience for a beginner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by walcotteric View Post
Okay, it's been over a week and as far as I can tell my brew is not fermenting at all. I'm not entirely certain what went wrong, but I have a few ideas. My biggest question right now is what do I do with it? Is it garbage? Or is it salvageable?

I didn't invest too much time or money into this brew, so I'm not too worried about it, I just consider it a learning experience for a beginner brewer.
Did you check your gravity?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How do you know it hasn't fermented? Have you taken a hydrometer reading? That's the ONLY WAY TO KNOW if you have fermentation or not. Nothing else is an accurate indicator of fermentation...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 693 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 636

It would help if you could describe your brewing recipe, process, temperatures, and any gravity readings you've taken.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
maltman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

don't throw it out! check the specific gravity. If it hasn't fermented, you can always pitch more yeast.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Pop the top, drop the hydro in there, and give it a spin......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
emmdubb23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Check for odd smells though, leaving wort unfermented can lead to funky bacterial infections that will ruin your beer

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmdubb23 View Post
Check for odd smells though, leaving wort unfermented can lead to funky bacterial infections that will ruin your beer
But more than likely, the op, like many new brewers, thinks his beer isn't fermenting because he did not see an airlock bubble, and he equates airlocks with being fermentation gauges, rather than what they are, simply vents. When he takes his gravity reading, he's going to find just like 99.99999% of all brewers, that, modern yeast just doesn't NOT work these days, like 30-40 year old books would lead folks to think, and that fermentation did indeed happen.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
emmdubb23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

But more than likely, the op, like many new brewers, thinks his beer isn't fermenting because he did see an airlock bubble, and he equates airlocks with being fermentation gauges, rather than what they are, simply vents. When he takes his gravity reading, he's going to find just like 99.99999% of all brewers, that, modern yeast just doesn't NOT work these days, like 30-40 year old books would lead folks to think, and that fermentation did indeed happen.
I had a beer not ferment for a week once, it was genuinely my fault of course but it can happen... It's the only batch I have ever had that happen to, but its certainly not impossible... And I ended up having to toss due to an infection that made it sour and made me nearly vomit when I tasted it... BAD MISTAKE

Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
wood0966
Recipes 

OP what's the specific gravity? And the OG?

Quick Reply