The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Enhancer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
troytrojans211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Enhancer

I'm brewing and kegging my first batch of home brew. I have Cooper's Mexican Cerveza, but I did not get the enhancer. I see that I can substitude granulated sugar, but how does that taste if I do that? Will it ruin it? I also have some old booster from some Mr Beer kits I was given years ago...could i use that in place of the enhancer 2 they recommend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
HopJuicer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know what the enhancer is. If this is used during the boil I would assume it helps dry out the finished product. I have added table sugar to certain recipes and it ferments out leaving no taste/residual sweetness. What does the kit say the enhancer is?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

enhancer 1 is 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin
enhancer 2 is 50% dextrose, 25% DME, 25%matodextrin

Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You could use either sugar or the Mr. Beer packets. They'll both technically work, but they won't give you spectacular beer. That being said the Enhancer 2 probably wasn't going to give you a great beer to begin with. If you can get your hands on any malt extract it would work better, but straight sugar will definitely ferment. It may end up being a little dry with just sugar though.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think sugar results in dryer beer with a watery mouth feel. Even the beginners kits with their shoddy instructions advise against it.
If you can get your hands on some malt extract, enhancer or at least some brewing sugar it'd probably result in a nicer drink.
If its in date i'd use the Mr beer stuff and top it off with sugar to reach correct gravity.

Quick Reply