Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Carbonation in capped bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
Pommy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

two weeks should generally be enough for some carbonation though, if it were me i would check the caps are on tight because if they arent then air will be able to get in and they might get worse as they age rather than better due to infections.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2251 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

If you like brewing and plan on doing much more of it, think about getting a bench capper. They are not much more $$ after all. The only thing I can think of is that either the caps are bad ( not likely unless they are 20 years old) or the capping process has a flaw, which a bench capper will likely correct.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
bloussant
Recipes 

Shook em up and didn't here any hissing.

Here's how the caps fit:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...g?t=1269456965

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...g?t=1269457072

Here is the wing capper I used:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...g?t=1269457115

Also, I'm bummed, because I just finished capping my 2nd batch last weekend. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again. If so, I'm buying a bench capper to see if that's the problem.

Is there such thing as filling up the bottles too much? You can see the fill line in my first pic.

Bottled: notsohoppy IPA (failure)
Bottled: Cal Common Ale
Up Next: ? Suggestions welcome (something that ages well)

Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
dae06
Recipes 

I had carbonation problems with Corona bottles. After capping, I could push them off with my thumb. Most of these lost their carbonation.

My LHBS guy also told me that if you see sediment on the bottom of the bottle, carbonation did occur and you lost it through the cap.

He was right on in my situation. I had been worryed about the priming sugar not getting evenly mixed up prior to bottling, but it was not the case for me. Ever since I quit using Corona bottles, I have had no problems.

I have heard that with a bench capper, Coronas work OK.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Slim
Recipes 

If there is not a flavor difference in your capped bottles and your flip-tops, I would say its a matter of science. A flip-top releases the pressure all at once and air is forced into the top of the bottle's neck, which make a big popping sound, but when opening a capped bottle, your releasing the pressure slowly. This can be experienced when opening a bottle of champagne. You can pop the cork or release the pressure slowing and a pop will not be heard.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #16
bloussant
Recipes 

Good news. My dad and I decided it was time to crack open another capped bottle to see if carbonation had increased. We moved the bottles from the closet into the refrigerator for about a day before we opened them. Keep in mind at this point, the bottles have now been conditioned for about 3 weeks. Success!

We were surprised at the increase in carb from week 2 to week 3. We attributed the fact partially to giving each of the bottles a swirl to rouse up the yeast back into suspension back in week 2. We're not 100% positive that's what did the trick, but the capped bottles are now producing the same amount of head as the Grolsch swing caps.

Bottled: notsohoppy IPA (failure)
Bottled: Cal Common Ale
Up Next: ? Suggestions welcome (something that ages well)

Tags
carbonation, undercarbonated

Quick Reply