Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No carbonation after 3 weeks in bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default No carbonation after 3 weeks in bottle

What went wrong? This is a high gravity 1.075 brew using 10lbs LME, 1lb of Crystal, lots of hops, and Wyeast American Ale (1056 I think). The FG was 1.015 when I bottled it, that's 80% attenuation, lots of alcohol in it. It tasted great when I bottled it.

I went on vacation for 2 weeks, expecting to come back to a great beer and instead it had no more fizz than when I bottled it. And I mean NONE. I added the bottling sugar as instructed, so that's not it. It isn't sour or infected that I can tell.

Could the high alcohol kill the yeast that's left, leaving not enough to carbonate?

Should I wait some more? Or should I try to add more yeast and sugar? I have a spare packet of Safale yeast to use, and extra sugar from another batch. Or should I try kegging it and force carbonating? I don't have kegging equipment, but I could beg, borrow or steal some. It really is too good a brew to waste, probably one of my best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I feel your frustration but I bet you are gonna have to wait a couple of more weeks which isn't a bad thing considering that it is a higher gravity brew. You could roll the bottles to re suspend the yeast. I used to put some on top of the refrigerator as it was nice and warm which helped.

Gary

Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
What went wrong? This is a high gravity 1.075 brew using 10lbs LME, 1lb of Crystal, lots of hops, and Wyeast American Ale (1056 I think). The FG was 1.015 when I bottled it, that's 80% attenuation, lots of alcohol in it. It tasted great when I bottled it.

I went on vacation for 2 weeks, expecting to come back to a great beer and instead it had no more fizz than when I bottled it. And I mean NONE. I added the bottling sugar as instructed, so that's not it. It isn't sour or infected that I can tell.

did you mix the priming sugar thouroughly?

Could the high alcohol kill the yeast that's left, leaving not enough to carbonate?

Yes that's possible, but unlikely, what's the alcohol tollerance of the yeast you used?

Should I wait some more? Or should I try to add more yeast and sugar? I have a spare packet of Safale yeast to use, and extra sugar from another batch. Or should I try kegging it and force carbonating? I don't have kegging equipment, but I could beg, borrow or steal some. It really is too good a brew to waste, probably one of my best.

Pretty hard to add yeast and sugar once the beer is in the botle. Do some begging, then do some kegging.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I agree with Blender. If they aren't already, move them to a warm place (+70˚F), give each bottle a gentle shake, and give it a few more weeks.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

did you mix the priming sugar thouroughly?

Yes. I used the usual method of adding the sugar to the bucket first before siphoning the beer in, and then I let it swirl around.

Yes that's possible, but unlikely, what's the alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used?

Don't know.

I guess I'll wait some more and put them someplace warmer. It is August after all.

But if that doesn't work, can I open, add sugar/yeast and then re-cap them?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post

But if that doesn't work, can I open, add sugar/yeast and then re-cap them?
thats way to hard and time consuming...just keep waiting. I bet they will carbonate after awhile. It takes a lot of time for high gravity beers to carb. Go get some kegs

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What temperature did you leave it at? If you put it in the fridge, the yeasts will go to sleep and not do their job. If it is above 65F, I can't help you.

-a.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have the same problem with my IPA. Don't know what happened. I agitated all the bottles a little and will leave them alone for a few weeks and hope for the best.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You answered your own question, really...You have a higher gravity beer...The three weeks at 70 degrees is just a "rule of thumb" and it applies for "normal" neers, your higher gravity beer will simply need longer time...Heck, my stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks on average to carb and condition..

Blender had a good idea, give them a roll and check them in 3 or more weeks..Even on this week's basic brewing radio, one of the letters mentioned having a tripel that wouldn't carb up, then suddenly after 3 months "BAM" it carbed up completely.

So stick them away and forget about them for awhile..there is noting wrong with them that patience won't fix.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Even on this week's basic brewing radio, one of the letters mentioned having a tripel that wouldn't carb up, then suddenly after 3 months "BAM" it carbed up completely.

Sorry to jack this thread - is this an online radio program? Could you provide a link? I got as far as brew wiki but couldnt find any link to a radio program. thanks in advance!

Quick Reply