No carb. whats going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddPacker69

Reaction score
I brewed and then bottled my beer, its been bottled for about 2 weeks. Still VERY little carb, pretty much nothing. It is pretty cold here, house gets below 60 at night, but during the day rises a bit. Any suggestions/

How did you prime it? How long did it ferment?

Try putting a few of them in the warmest place you can- on top of the fridge, a closet, etc. In a week, chill one in the fridge overnight and check the carb level. Warmer temperatures will really help!

ok ok the weather is getting warmer out, so that will help. My only concern is that they were kept cold first the first week of bottling, so did I miss the chance to carbonate? Can you still get carbonation after the beer was initially kept in the cold?

And I primed with priming sugar from my true brew california common kit.

**Fermented in my bucket for 4 weeks. Then bottled. Been bottled for 2 weeks now and there is VERY little carb, barely any. So I brought them to a warmer place, just hope the inconsistency wont hurt it..

Thanks to the op for bringing up the subject of carbonation. I'd asked in another thread about the temp my bottles should be stored at having used Danstar Munich yeast to ferment.

Danstar suppposed to like cooler temps, ie low 60's for fermentation, and I did have a crazy wicked active fermentation! I wasn't sure if I should keep my freezer at the same low 60's for bottle conditioning. After a couple of days, my gut feeling was that carb happens at temps about 10* warmer than say.. 62*

So, I cranked up the thermostat and have had em' sitting in the dark at 72* for about 9 days now (first 2 days @ 62*) .... hoping to taste on this coming Saturday, after 14 days of being bottled.

Repeat after me, both of you- "Three weeks @ 70 Degrees, Three weeks @ 70 Degrees." Regardless of the yeast, regardless if it's ale or lager.

The answer is always....The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

repeated per your instruction, oh master :)

Thanks for the tips! Man, I love this brewing all grain stuff!

Back