Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   No bubbles......but (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/no-bubbles-but-381867/)

kyle6357 01-16-2013 03:17 AM

No bubbles......but
 
No noticeable bubbles in the air lock but there is the sulphur smell so I know the yeast is working.

Either I'm not seeing the bubbles or, some CO2 is leaking out around lid maybe? It's on tight.......airlock is secure.

homebrewdad 01-16-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle6357 (Post 4790191)
No noticeable bubbles in the air lock but there is the sulphur smell so I know the yeast is working.

Either I'm not seeing the bubbles or, some CO2 is leaking out around lid maybe? It's on tight.......airlock is secure.

Bucket lids are notoriously leaky. Smell does seem to indicate fermentation. Just leave it alone for a week or two, then take a hydrometer reading.

kyle6357 01-16-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrewdad (Post 4790223)
Bucket lids are notoriously leaky. Smell does seem to indicate fermentation. Just leave it alone for a week or two, then take a hydrometer reading.

When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?

moscoeb 01-16-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle6357

When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?

Co2 is heavier than air, so as long as you don't tip the bucket, slosh it around, or do some other crazy thing, then your beer will be perfectly fine to open the lid and get enough for a OG sample.
Use a sanitized thief or sanitized turkey baster

GASoline71 01-16-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle6357 (Post 4790270)
When you take the reading will the O2 hurt hinder if I'm not quite there yet?

Nope... it won't hurt a thing.

...and one of the cool things about a bucket is you can just drop your sanitized hydrometer right in the brew to take a reading. :)

Gary


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.