Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Bubbles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Bravo11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Bubbles

No bubbles, at least not many. I pitched last sunday around 10:00 at night.
My first brew.
The fermenter has been in my room with the A/C on since then.
I never saw the actiive bubbling I expected. I get a bubble maybe once every 4 to 5 mins.
What's going on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Airlock activity should not be something that gives you the worries. Do you have a hydrometer?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Get out of the mindset that airlock means anything...bubbling or lack of in the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation occuring...There's way too many variables that can come into play in terms of airlock bubbling to use that as an indicator.

You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it.

I've had beers in my fermentor that have had almost no airlock activity, but I saw the liguid in the airlock was saturated with tiny bubbles. But on the other hand, the brown ale I pitched on a yeastcake from a previous batch sounded like a machine gun the way the bubbler was going up and down...I ended up needing a blow off tube once it got going...

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation....That's where the hydrometer comes into play.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Bravo11
Recipes 

I have a hydrometer and took a reading before pitching. 1.05 at 75 degF.
There is a white/tan sediment about 1/2 to 1" thick on bottle of carboy. There are very few bubbles/foam on top. No tiny bubbles in mixture.
Should I agitate the yeast. (No I don't mean nag at them)

Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your description is suggesting to me that fermentation is indeed happening/has happened. You'll only now for sure if you pull a sample and take a new Hydro reading. You won't want to do anything with your beer till the reading remain the same for 2 - 3 days in a row.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Get out of the mindset that airlock means anything...bubbling or lack of in the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation occuring...There's way too many variables that can come into play in terms of airlock bubbling to use that as an indicator.

You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it.

I've had beers in my fermentor that have had almost no airlock activity, but I saw the liguid in the airlock was saturated with tiny bubbles. But on the other hand, the brown ale I pitched on a yeastcake from a previous batch sounded like a machine gun the way the bubbler was going up and down...I ended up needing a blow off tube once it got going...

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation....That's where the hydrometer comes into play.

Revvy- On average, how many times per day do you find yourself copying & pasting the same info in the Noob thread?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
Bravo11
Recipes 

Yes, I've read that same post before. You know how us noobs are. Hopefully it will turn out great and I can wait until the next new guy starts a thread about no bubbles.
I guess worst case is that the beer will taste like crap and I'll dump it.
The kit only costs $30. I can start again.
But wait, there is another worst case. The beer could have set a bad bacteria never before seen by mankind and KILL ME!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
Revvy- On average, how many times per day do you find yourself copying & pasting the same info in the Noob thread?
No kidding, he needs that on an auto-reply for every new post in the noob section.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
Waaaaaayyyy to many...but it beats typing the same answer over and over...A lot of people give up answering the same question over and over...so somebody has to do it...

It's not like it's not repeated several times in places like the "Stone Cold" sticky created specifically for people new to the forum, or in the wiki....or wouldn't be found by searching "no bubbles" in the forum....Or on at least one other thread in the beginners forum on any given day...

It seems like this is a big issue this week with people...wonder why???

Oh well...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 06-27-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
No kidding, he needs that on an auto-reply for every new post in the noob section.
Know how I can program that?

Quick Reply