No bubbles ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait 72 hours for activity, if still no activity repitch yeast.

I would amend this to say, wait at least 72 hours, if still no activity, take a hydrometer reading. If your hydro reading hasn't changed from your OG, then repitch yeast.

I would amend this to say, wait at least 72 hours, if still no activity, take a hydrometer reading. If your hydro reading hasn't changed from your OG, then repitch yeast.

+1 on this. I had two batches in a row where I had no airlock activity. Both fermented fine. Turns out the lid on my bucket wasn't sealing properly.

Your beer is just fine. No airlock activity means nothing. Most likely it's simply too soon. It could be that the fermentaion will kick off slower if you're fermenting at cooler temps (sub 65 degrees).

Several hundred batches using every yeast under the sun, I've never had to repitch yeast. You'll just be throwing yeast away.

Leave it alone a for a few days, then get under the lid and use your eyes. Is there active krausen? Is there krausen residue on the walls of the fermenter? And as mentioned...take a reading.

Even the slightest air leak in your bucket lids will cause CO2 to escape without disturbing the airlock. :mug:

BierMuncher is right. I have done over a hundred brews and never had one not start and finish. I have had many that never bubbled at all.Airlock bubbling is not a sign of fermentation. All it means that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. Sit back and let the yeast do what it has been doing for thousands of years.

Give it some more time. If you are fermenting in a bucket it may have a leak. After a few days you can pop the lid and see if there is any krausen which will tell you that it has started.

Here is a video of a bubbling airlock..Is this brew done yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back