Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Airlock action after 3 days... ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
dhoyt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Airlock action after 3 days... ?

This is my second batch of a nut brown ale OG 1.055. The first batch bubbled for almost a week, this one, three days... The only thing I did diffrent was an extra ounce of hops and a 1 pint yeast starter. I thought maybe I just got a good jump start with the starter but I just need some reassurance I guess. I also used a unsanitized strainer at the last second but that would affect fermentation would it? The airlock doesnt even have pressure... Am I just being paranoid??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

It should be fine. I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours, and I've had other beers take nearly three weeks, so how long it takes really doesn't matter. You can just wait a week or so and take the SG to be sure it's really done.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yes, you are being paranoid. Remember, the airlock is to keep nasties out, it is not a scientific device that shows the state of fermentation, that's what hydrometers are for! Have a homebrew and just let the yeaties do what they do.

Last edited by enderwig; 01-31-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know how you feel. I still find myself staring at the airlock - even though I know it is virtually meaningless. Let it sit. If you are really curious, take a hydrometer reading (for my current batch, I lasted 5 days before my curiosity got to me). My airlock stopped after 2 days . . . 3 days later, I checked the SG and fermentation was almost complete (tasted good too).

At this stage, the only thing you can do is keep the yeast in their happy temperature range, and leave the beer be.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Thats one thing I like about clear carboys, you can see it working away even though the airlock doesn't show any activity. This doesn't mean that I think you need to go get all glass as I still use my ale pales since they don't break and are a lot lighter. Just cool to watch, I find myself starring away at my Apfelwein watching it bubble and chug away.

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
dhoyt
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info. Ill just let it chill for another week. Appreciate it

Quick Reply