Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Air Lock Activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
JerseyFresh85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Air Lock Activity

Hey guys just started my first batch yesterday and it has been about 24 hours. My house temp is in the mid 60's and I have yet to see any bubbles or activity from my yeast. I used a Muntons amber ale kit with whatever the ale yeast they provided. Should I be worried? and if so what should I do. I have no other beer brewing ingredients in my house that I know of and I really don't wanna wait the next few weeks if my beer is'nt going to be beer. any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Ps Also I have no bubbles in the fermenter which is a 6 gallon glass carboy. Please help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

First, fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

But by visible signs they DON'T mean airlock activity.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2. And the peak of fermentation has already wound down, so there's simply no need to vent off any excess co2.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" without taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on. It's exactly the same thing when you try to go by airlock....

You'll be much happier if you get out of that habit...you will find that fermentations rarely don't take off, or just Stop...In fact I've never had a beer not ferment. BUT half of my fermentations, spread out across 9 different fermenters, never blip once in the airlock.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

So, Relax, then wait 72 hours and take a hydrometer, and you'll see, more than likely that everything is fin...it is fine 99.95% of the time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It's possible that it just needs a few more hours to get going. Are you fermenting in a bucket? It's also possible that it is fermenting and air is leaking out somewhere else. Neither of these is anything to be concerned about. I'd check it again tomorrow and see if there are any signs of activity. If you don't see anything for a few days, take a hydrometer sample to see if it's doing anything. If you're REALLY nervous you can take a hydro now, but, I'd wait a day or so myself. Either way, Revvy will be along shortly with his The Airlock is Not a Gauge of Fermentation Activity post and he'll be right!

EDIT: He beat me to it!!!! Damn you REVVY!!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

99% sure it's fine. It could be just lag time. Sometimes it takes some time to fill the air space and form enough pressure to work the air lock. Sometimes there's a leak in the bucket seal and the CO2 is escaping there rather than through the air lock.....

Damn Revvy, I was going to give the "ahem....revvy to isle 9" but really man, you're quick.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Well, I see you've updated your original post to note that it is a glass carboy. I think the thing to do then is give it a little more time. It's not panic time yet.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
Locorcr
Recipes 

Yea what they said, my first batch is in primary for almost two weeks now and had no activity for 4days and then like magic fermentation started, so relax and wait for the goodness to start.

Chris AKA:nOOB brewer

Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
JerseyFresh85
Recipes 

Just wanted to say thanks guys. It ended up takings about 30 or so hours to start to bubble in the airlock and to build up the foam and its been goin good since then

Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Sounds like you're on your way!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

lococr,

dude you totally look like homer simpson with those eyes! NICE!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
kidsmakeyoucrazy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Newbie here with my 2 cents. I started my first brew the 26th. My airlock bubbled a bit after 8-10 hours and then it was 2 days before I looked at it again. Still no bubbles...but the "lock" part of the 3 piece airlock is pushed up at an angle and one of the vent holes in the bottom of that piece is just barely above the liquid...my conclusion is that you'll never see gurgling bubbles when this happens and as long as there is enough pressure to keep that "lock" piece up then you know something is creating a gas in your fermenter and just let it be. It's not going to float by itself

Quick Reply