New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No activity in my fermenter.....any suggestions?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
rhodesie9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hope, Minnesota
Posts: 31
Default No activity in my fermenter.....any suggestions?

I did my first all-grain brew on Thursday. Fermentation was recommended at 70. I put my carboy in the basement and went out of town for the weekend. When I returned on Sunday I noticed the temp at 62. I have since moved the carboy upstairs where the temp has been raised and is holding around 70, but I have not had any active fermentation since I have been home. Should I be concerned?

I did a yeast starter also. Do I need to add more yeast?



__________________
rhodesie9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Jay1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 138
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I'll bet all the fermentation activity went on while your away. When I pitch with a starter, I get activity in about 6 hours, with peak at about 18. By the third day it's looking pretty boring. If you're sweating it, take a gravity reading.

BTW, what was your OG? And what kind of yeast did you use?



__________________
Jay1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesie9 View Post
I did my first all-grain brew on Thursday. Fermentation was recommended at 70. I put my carboy in the basement and went out of town for the weekend. When I returned on Sunday I noticed the temp at 62. I have since moved the carboy upstairs where the temp has been raised and is holding around 70, but I have not had any active fermentation since I have been home. Should I be concerned?

I did a yeast starter also. Do I need to add more yeast?
For most yeast strains 62f is no problem.

How do you know there is no fermentation? Is the beer in a bucket or carboy?

Are there any visable signs of fermentation(krausen ring around the top of the fermentor)?

Hydrometer reading?
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 12,047
Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Take a gravity reading and compare against the OG reading.

I second needing the OG, current SG, what yeast you used and such. Otherwise, we're shooting blind...

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine


...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
rhodesie9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hope, Minnesota
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
I'll bet all the fermentation activity went on while your away. When I pitch with a starter, I get activity in about 6 hours, with peak at about 18. By the third day it's looking pretty boring. If you're sweating it, take a gravity reading.

BTW, what was your OG? And what kind of yeast did you use?

I didn't take an OG. I used a Belgian Wit WLP400.
__________________
rhodesie9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
rhodesie9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hope, Minnesota
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
For most yeast strains 62f is no problem.

How do you know there is no fermentation? Is the beer in a bucket or carboy?

Are there any visable signs of fermentation(krausen ring around the top of the fermentor)?

Hydrometer reading?

My very first batch of any type of brewing. I have it in a carboy. Just doesn't seem like any. There is a slight krausen ring around the top. I thought it might have started and then possible stopped because of the lower temp it was at. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading.
__________________
rhodesie9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
rhodesie9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hope, Minnesota
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Take a gravity reading and compare against the OG reading.

I second needing the OG, current SG, what yeast you used and such. Otherwise, we're shooting blind...
I do know that the FG is to be 1.011 per the recipe.
__________________
rhodesie9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
Jay1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 138
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Hydrometer is your friend.

__________________
Jay1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,003
Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesie9 View Post
I do know that the FG is to be 1.011 per the recipe.
So take a gravity reading and figure out where you are. If you have a krausen ring, you've had some fermentation.
__________________
Homebrew Dad - blogging about making my own beer and raising a lot of kids.
Check out the priming sugar calculator and the beer calorie calculator.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
homebrewdad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesie9 View Post
My very first batch of any type of brewing. I have it in a carboy. Just doesn't seem like any. There is a slight krausen ring around the top. I thought it might have started and then possible stopped because of the lower temp it was at. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading.
If you are unsure, take a reading. Can't hurt.

Typically, wlp400 is fairly vigorous.


__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No activity Bookem15 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-13-2011 09:24 PM
Longer time in primary fermenter vs. moving to a secondary fermenter randallr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-21-2011 02:13 AM
Fermenter Suggestions jeremu Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 01-27-2010 09:33 PM
How to stop airlock gunk from getting in fermenter when moving fermenter... Poincare Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 07-22-2009 01:22 AM
No activity in fermenter bulleitb Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-10-2008 12:45 AM