Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No activity in fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
bulleitb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No activity in fermenter

Ive already gone through primary fermentation of 5 gallons of stout and I then racked on top of 5 lbs of cherry puree in the secondary. From everything Ive read on this forum and in my books it says that I should have had a lot of action but theres really been nothing. Not even any bubbling. I took a gravity reading before I racked on the cherries and it was 1.016 but I didnt take a reading after I had racked on top of the cherries. Should I have? I have no real way to tell if anything is going on in the fermenter. Is it worth trying to re-pitch some yeast in there or should I just relax like my book tells me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

You can relax! Fermentation has already happened, so you have beer. The cherries are just for flavor and the fruit might add some sugar to ferment. What kind of cherry puree did you use? Did it have sorbate in it?

Regardless, the beer will know what to do now. All you have to do is wait. There is nothing else you can do to help it along. I personally think that waiting is the absolute hardest part of brewing!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think you misread something. You shouldn't see minimal to no fermentation in secondary. The whole purpose of secondary is to clear your beer. It's a conveinant time to add any other ingredients like fruit or dry-hops to give the beer time to absorb the flavor.

1.016 is fine and yes you should do as the book tells you.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
bulleitb
Recipes 

I used the Oregon Cherry puree. I was planning on racking to a tertiary when it was done fermenting but since theres no activity I dont know when I should do it. Its been in there a week now. Should I wait another week and then rack to the tertiary? And will it be clear how much of the beer I should leave behind?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Well, I'd leave it until you have the "just right" taste you were going for with the cherries, and double check the sg before you bottle or rack to a tertiary.

Quick Reply